Strange sound......... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Strange sound.........

I swear.......I've never had this much trouble with a vehicle. I'm extremely frustrated and about ready to give this damn this away!

OK, when I hit a bump at the right angle, head down an incline that is a certain pitch and sometimes even turn just WRONG, I hear metal on metal! It's not the fan hitting the fan shroud, so at least the engine isn't flopping back and forth any more.

I have absolutely no idea what it could be, BUT, the problem can be caused consistently, so hopefully I'll be able to identify it soon. Problem is, I'm not much for the idea of hanging on underneath while the vehicle is moving.

It doesn't sound like the exhaust bouncing around, but I haven't completely ruled it out. It sounds kind of like a mud flap rubbing in the tread of a tire, but a tinny metalic sound.

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Strange sound.........

Hey man, Im having the same problem, I get this hideous sound from the rear of my Bronc that sounds like metal on metal, I really can't frigure it out because it is only when I am backing up from a certain place, at a certain angle, and it is only when my foot is set on the brake pedal, not pressing but just setting on it, it is quite obscure. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm extremely frustrated and about ready to give this damn this away!

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear that... will you ship or do I need to come pick it up? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Do you have a tape recorder and some ductape? I want to know exactly what it sounds like, and I have an idea [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BigBlue, how new are your brake shoes in the rear? If your drums arent brand new and you put a new set of shoes in there, it takes awhile for them to contour to the drum's surface, and while they're doing that they will emit a high pitched metallic sound, especially when you're just barely on the brakes because they are free to vibrate. Various brands of shoes are worse about this than others, but I dont know them enough to recommend one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I actually may be the heat shield around the muffler rattling on the frame now and then. I have a chewed up, rusted out, half-ass exhaust on there right now.

I think that if it was something really bad that it would've already broken....I dunno.

I wiggled the exhaust around and it quit, for the most part. The sound doesn't really seem to be in pitch with engine speed or anything............but I'm not sure.

What was your idea?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 11:49 PM

Sounds to me like it's time to get an exhaust. I actually have my heatsheild c-clamped around the empty cat housing. I drove me crazy for a week.JMO-Bob [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

oh, i just wanted you to ductape the recorder under your truck so we could hear what it sounds like [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] my 2nd cat/heatshield rests on the tranny crossmember and makes a clanking sound... all that crap is getting redone this summer from the exhaust valves back [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Veteran

From the way you describe it, (tinny metalic sound) i would hafta agree with others here. The heat shield on my 86 cat had 4 cracks in it where the two brackets attach and from fluctuating temps down there, it would rattle, flexing back and forth on the brackets driving me nuts. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I took the thing off and brazed up the cracks plus spot welded the shield to the brackets, no more noise (4 years later).

Hey , its 20 years old, i have seen a lot of folks having more trouble than you with 3 year old vehicles.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:11 AM

Sounds to me like tire-meets-fender on both those trucks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

It sounds similar to that, but it is definitely NOT that on my Bronco. My tire does meet the fender upon occassion so it's not like it never happens, but that's just not what this is.

I really suspect the exhaust the more I hear it.

That's a good thing really, compared to the other possibilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode