Help..in process of spindle removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Help..in process of spindle removal

right now I've spent the last 1 1/2 hours trying to remove the passenger spindle. Here's a pic. The sucka won't come off. My chilton's basically says to remove the bolts that hold the spindle to the knuckle, tap the spindle with a plastic mallet and remove the spindle. Well, I have soaked it in penetrating oil, heated it, used a 3 lb sledge and chisel in between the spindle and knuckle, and even drove out the knuckle to spindle bolts as you can see here. She won't budge. Am I missing something? Suggestions? I would have thought the spindle would not have been this difficult to come free of the knuckle??

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:02 PM

Re: Help..in process of spindle removal

Sounds like you might have an axle bearing seized up. You might have to "tap" on the spindle on the smooth part to try and free it up. You'll then have to take sokme sand paper and smooth it back out. Good Luck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

What kind of symptoms might the axle bearing exhibit? it was just recently off road, no unusual noises up front, hubs not hot, drove fine in 4WD, drove fine with just the front hubs engaged???

I should mention too, the end of the axleshaft in the pic, does have just a bit of freeplay inside the spindle, so nothing seems to have gotten jammed in there...

UPDATE: Don't think there is a inner spindle/axleshaft bearing problem...i can grab the axleshaft more toward the pumpkin and turn it freely, no noise, binding, just nice and smooth.

man, how can something be so frozen on here??? [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Hurry up Muddy, I see you typing a reply to this....

What is up here? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

I almost always have toasted axle bearings when I remove the spindle and it usually just takes one tap with a 2x4 and sledge to get that sucker off. a slide hammer might work but damn I would think a 3lb sledge could get it off there. Does the axle move freely in and out of the spindle? It should be able to move quite a bit since you're on the slipjoint side. Those axle bearings usually squeal annoyingly loud before they disentegrate so I doubt that's it, it sounds like your spindle just has amazingly tight clearance on the knuckle for some reason. There's really only one direction it can move when it's like that, and that's straight outward, so either rig up a comealong, slide hammer, or puller and get at it [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I dont know if this is strange or not, but your caliper design is different than mine, I figured all the 4wabs trucks used the same stuff up front but I had slide pins rather than bolts for the caliper. Maybe you have a secret one-piece knuckle/spindle that has to be torched off the truck [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:57 PM

Juice. Beat the hell out of it with a plastic mallet. Trust me on this one. Just don't hit it on the end. I don't think it would hurt it but just as a precaustion don't. Beat the snot out of it with a plastic mallet from different directions. First down then up then side to side, repeat. While you do, review old beavis and buthead lines in your head. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] enjoy (Destroy Destroy! hehe, that was cool!)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Mud in my Veins

ahahahahah, you spy! i was sitting here trying to think of how the ABS stuff bolts on and maybe that was holding you back, but it appears you've already taken that little sensor housing thing off, though it's so damn soft it would just fall off with the spindle anyway
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 06:08 PM

I was in those shoes recently, too - thought I was missing something ... but -

a BFH & a chunk o' 2x4, plus a serious chisel is all you need ... I thought I'd F**k 'em up before I got 'em off - but they worked loose eventually!

I swear the rusty dust shield behind them was the main culprit in my case.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

heheheh...

Yea, that stupid ass sensor is what stopped me last weekend. had it tore down to that point and DOAH! I needed a 6mm 12pnt socket. Nothing else would work. I had a 6pnt, but that just stripped it a bit, since it is a 12 head bolt.

The tolerance must still be fairly tight. I can freely turn the axleshaft, no issues. the shaft also has just a bit of freeplay side to side and pushing/pulling. On the spindle, the backside of it...is there a steel lip then that goes just inside of the knuckle? It looks from the backside like there is, and within that is the seal??? I bet that is what is helping it hold on.

By the way, the Broncos did come with both types of calipers. I like my bolts (beefy), not your pins, ohh don't hurt me. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

OK, back to hammerin!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

no i agree, slides dont like mud, i just thought it was weird that ford used both designs on their ABS axles, as I thought slide pins were considered the "new" way to do it... but i should know by now not to try to decipher FORD's logic [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

yes, you are correct, the spindle sits flat on the knuckle around its bolts, but it also has a 3/8" deep lip that slides into the knuckle as you tighten the nuts. that is why it's so hard to bust it loose when new, if your tolerances are all tight then it really cant move up or down, it has to come straight out. i dont think i'd try to pound it out from the back side (heheh [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]), as you might gouge it and make the situation worse. time to break out the slide hammer i think... swallow your pride, go to AutoZone, and tear up their Chinese tools [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode