Distributor cap leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 01:01 PM
zirkdog420

Distributor cap leak

I hit a rather large puddle (small pond) yesterday and barely made it out before my 94 bronc died on me. I popped the dist. cap and had to dry the contact points off and then i was good to go. I'm curious, is there a way to seal the cap from leakage with a gasket of sorts or some sealant. How do you all deal with this? Other than not hitting puddles at high speed sending water everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 02:33 PM

Re: Distributor cap leak

I don't think you want to completely seal the distributer, try something to displace the water like wd40(the product not the man [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) When I use to run mud drags I would spray the cap inside and out then spray with ignition sealer. Always worked for me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 03:43 PM

use dielectric grease that always help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:04 PM

The cap should have a breather, you can extend that if you like. I have never done it. Just take some gasket sealant (the kind that stays flexible and is removable, and seal around the bottom of the cap. Use dielectric grease on all electrical fitting, cap to wire boots, wire boots to plugs, etc. finally I have half an old basketball, turned inside out and sprayed with camp dry in front of the distributor.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 05:25 PM
zirkdog420

Juice,

Sounds like quite the ingenious little setup with the whole basketball gig thing. I hate to be bothersome, but do you have any info or pics?? I didn't see any on your SF site. Did you just cut it in half and put it in, what holds it in?? THanks for the feedback, and i think a small bead of the grease and some wd-40 should do it. What exactly is "dielectric" grease compared to basic grease gun grease?? does it not conduct electricity or vice versa??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 07:39 PM

Unless you have done some stone age modification. You have electronic ignition bro. The water in the dist cap part is up to speed though. It'll get ya weather you have points or electric ignition.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 08:40 PM

Here is a pic of the basketball mod [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The half I am holding is the larger half. the other smaller half can be seen in the background, wedged in behind the air inlet but in front of the distributor. the black innards are very strong, and very rubbery/elastic, and shed water/mud like crazy. This keeps all the gunk thrown at the distributor from the front away. If you go too deep, nothing will help. This also allows the ignition to "breath" and dry out. WD-40 in the cap, a little, is a good idea before sealing. Be careful what you seal the cap with. I used a high temp gasket sealer, like you would use for the differentials. And don't over do it. Make sure your breather (which is a little hole or cap on top of the distributor cap), is not just an open hole, but indeed has a cap to it.

Dialectric grease is sold at any Napa or auto parts store. DO NOT just use any grease. This is ignition tune up grease. It makes plug boots come off easier, and makes the ignition just that much more impervious to moisture, but it does not interfere with conductivity. You do not need gobs of it in components, if the boots seal good. Just enough to coat. It can also be used in other electrical connections, fog lights, for example, etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 10:22 PM

Get one of the rubber boots off a mustang distributor I here they help alot
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Pooh-Bah

Waterproofing Distributor

<font color="blue">Converted</font color> did a great "step by step" on this subject.
Click on!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:13 AM

Re: Waterproofing Distributor

The Mustang dist boot works great, and is cheaper than a basketball [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode