Ford 8.8 Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ford 8.8 Question

What would be the "smartest" gear and tire size to match up with an 8.8" axle? (What i mean by smartest is , not to over stress the axle with a tire too large or a gear too tall).
What i was thinking about doing though, is going to a 5.14 gear and putting on 40's!
I have an 88 F/S Bronco, running a built 351W.....carbed, with TFS heads, Venolia pistons, Eagle rods, Deamon 750, BG Enduro fuel pump, Sanderson "blockhugger" rear dump headers, and dual 3" Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow mufflers.
So far the axle has been strong, and able to handle the power! Other than that, i am running a front "straight" Dana 44 with a 4.55 ratio, and the 8.8 with 31 spline Moser axle shafts and a 4.56 ratio. Tires are 35x14.50x15 Swamper SSR's.
The guy i had do the work prior had retired, and since moved, so i have called several different places with getting a different responce every time!
(one said yes, the other said it would pull my axle shafts like on jeeps, the other said it won't handle anything over a 4.56, and the other said i would need to constantly need to change the gear oil and replace bearings? "i have never heard of that before! And that shop has been around since 1985?")!
I would appreciate any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Ford 8.8 Question

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What i was thinking about doing though, is going to a 5.14 gear and putting on 40's!

[/ QUOTE ]
i would file that under "not smart" [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

with tires that big, your chances of chipping teeth off the gears, breaking a shaft, or tweaking the housing are very good unless you drive like grandma. we've seen it here on this forum several times and with tires way smaller than 40's! I've bent axles and chipped the differential gears with just 35's, somebody on here managed to spin the whole center section around the tubes with smaller tires than you have now. Another reason to upgrade to a 1-ton axle is that you get bigger brakes, which make having big tires like that much safer. You might get away with it for awhile but at some point I think it's gonna come apart on you, and probably not at a very good time either.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:15 AM

Cripes, i dont event think 5.14s will fit inside those carriers! I thought 4.88 was the limit for the 8.8, and even then, that makes the pinion pretty small. If you want to go that low, id start saving to invest in a pair of Dana60s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I do see what your saying!!!!!!! While it is strong now...it has everything new in it. Why it has everything new in it though, well.......a smaller tire "33's" did the stock set up in rather quickly! So i'll keep it as it is for now, or untill i can find another 5 lug Dana 60 [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] " i love bone yards"!!!!! In that case 44's just may be next!
It's kind of funny to see guys in my area that run Vortec'd Mustangs, are running 8.8's???????? HOW.....and at 600+hp???
I'm going to try to find out!!!!!!
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 10:30 AM

The Mustang is half the weight, axle is well supported by links, and they aren't trying move 35x12.5's up the face of a rock [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know, i think i just may go for dual Dana 60's!!!!! It would be an easy swap for the front, but.......i want to retain a 5 lug pattern! I have found rears before, but if they made rears, they had to have made fronts?
And speaking about start saving...........My friend [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] "slightly jealous" took a loan out, just to get 2 1/2's! I think the loan was for $13,000........yes $13,000.00!!!!!!! I think he has 6.71's and the tire is a Brigestone that's a 49" tall by 24" wide......It's a tuned, 3mpg daily driver!!!!! His work is only 1/2 mile away! LOL
Anyway, i could have gotten him 8 lug 60's brake to brake, and locked for $4000! But he wanted bigger.
So my venture for the 5 lug Dana 60 will start again [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 11:09 AM

That's right Burnt, weight being moved and the tires. Even still, those mustangs that do run 8.8's are breaking them too. It can happen with that kind of horsepower.

I know a guy in our club now that is running 5.13's and 37" SSR's. Only way it survives though, is 5.0 motor (stock), no lockers, and drives "gingerly".
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:39 PM

why 5 lug? who cares, just get 8 lugs. if you worried that you want to keep your current wheels you have a whole different kind of issue.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, 5 lug because i don't want to have to buy new rims! And if i sell what i have now, i would probably come up over $1000 bucks short.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, Burnt is right! At a third of the weight....Mustangs really wouldn't have a problem!
And for the guy in your club. I think in the way, if i have it i'm going to use it! None of this take it easy stuff for me, and no way could i even think of running an open diff!
The guy that used to do my gears "years ago" suggested that i go with an after market carrier and the Powertrax No-Slip.
Believe it or not, for daily driving and quite a bit of off roading, i couldn't be happier! I was always going to get a Detroit, and drove a Bronco that had one. While it had great traction and lock up, i was able to feel the bad side of it, in a daily driving situation! But the suggestion of the Powertrax has got me out of EVERY situation i was in!
For sure Dana 60 for me now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode