my beast finally left me stranded - fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

my beast finally left me stranded - fuel pump

Here I am driving along yesterday when I turn a corner and my truck dies all of a sudden. I put it in neutral and try to start it while coasting. It didn't want to so I came to a stop and turned my radio down so I could hear what was going on. It cranked and cranked and nothing [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] . After I let it sit for awhile, I cranked on it again and it did "start". It was probably only doing 500rpm or so. It was then when I realized that it wasn't getting any gas. So at this point I call up my dad to bring the tools and the fuel line quick disconnect tools and the new fuel filter I bought but haven't had time to change out yet (finals week is almost over). So after 30min fighting with the fuel filter we finally get the sucker off and changed [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] . Crank it over and still no dice. So at this point I get out my code reader and it gives me a 543 & 542 code. We start going through the haynes manual troubleshooting checking all of the relays, fuses, and etc. After that we get to the inertia switch and it seems to check out.

So to make a REALLY long story shorter, we think we've narrowed it down to either the fuel pump or the wiring in between. Do you guys know of anything else to check for before we have to drop a gas tank with 20 gallons in it to change out the pump?

Another related question, do you have any tricks or tips to changing that out, like brand of pump, type of pump, ways to get the pump off, minor mods to help if this ever happens again, etc (besides cutting a hole in my floor)?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 11:51 AM

Re: my beast finally left me stranded - fuel pump

It probably is the pump. The wiring is very unlikely.

What did those codes turn out to mean? Are you changing your fuel filter every 10k? That will help your next pump live longer. Suggestions to make this easier....only thing I can say, is once you are done with this, you may have seconds thoughts about not wanting to cut a hole in the floor.

Buy the best pump you can, and it won't be cheap. Change the filter often, and keep your injection system clean. Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, every 10k miles, right, uh-huh, sure everytime [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ! The codes were reading, "secondary fuel pump fault" in my code book.

In haynes, they said something like "f.p. circuit fault - PCM to GND" and "f.p. circuit fault - Bat to PCM".

AND all of this on the week before I was gonna put in my lift!!! I guess that gets put off for another week! Figures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:16 PM

Have you checked the fp relay? Somtimes it is the simple things.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

if you're talking about the one in the fuse box in the engine compartment, then yes we did. I even ran a jumper wire from the fp test post on the code reader port to a ground (which is supposed to turn on the fp and make it run constantly) and nothing happened. We then ran a jumper through the inertia switch and nothing happened, so the problem must be after the switch. I even made sure I had gas in the tank. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Fuel pump

Mine has been teasing me for the past 2 weeks, so I picked one up on the way home today. I'm about to go swap it. Have you looked at pics #22-25 in this album? The only trick I can think of is getting the fuel lines disconnected without ripping them apart, but you've already discovered THAT! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Since I'm sure you don't want to try it with ~140# of gas in the tank, get a cheap liquid transfer pump from Wal-Mart from the RV section and put as much as you can into another vehicle or cans. You'll need some you can put back to get it running. When you're finished, remember that it'll take several key cycles to get the pressure up in the fuel rail again, so don't expect it to crank right up.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Larnach

Re: Fuel pump

Sounds like a relay possibly. I put mine up on a lift 80 miles from home, brought it down, started... and ran for 3 seconds and died... no fuel, ended up being the relay. If your in a bind and can't get one for some ungodly reason, just wire it to a switch like I did
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

Done.

~2hrs with several breaks, but it's working now. 45psi at idle. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Better than 20! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Pics
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:53 AM

<font color="blue">Steve</font color>, thanks for taking the time to do that incredibly detailed write-up. I'm sure every one of us will need to refer to it at some point. [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Well $150 and 6hrs later I finally have a running bronco! You should have seen it, the pump which started out white was a dark tan color. The filter at the intake of the pump was brown and the fuel filter was clogged. I wonder which gas station gave me that kind of gas!?! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Well, I just wanted to let you know how it went and thank you for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode