auto vs manual - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

auto vs manual

looking for answers... i'm so used to driving a manual transmission, i find it strange to drive a auto! really strange offroad,...it's like (to me) riding a dirtbike with a automatic trans...WEIRD/WIERD...ya'know? SO HERE'S MY QUESTION; which would be better for offroad driving, auto or manual? &amp; could someone tell me what's up with the transmission i have, (e4od) it was fine when i bought the rig...drove right, shifted right, took the rig offroad &amp; found a huge water hole...(ya'already know) i emptied that hole dry. long story short...the e4od started acting funny. slipping, not upshifting, crazy. so i checked in to it to find out it's computer controlled? what? nuts man? i have seen everything now! i pulled the computer codes...i drained the fluid &amp; changed the filter. &amp; guess what??? the thing works fine....i so want a manual. so if anyone else has a strange problem with thier e4od tell me, i've heard a c-6 will fit with shafts &amp; a adapter, sounds like the fix i need, being all that smog computer fuel injected crap needs to go...edelbrock time...anyhow- let me hear your opinions on auto/vs/manual...which is better &amp; why!thanks all. <<<the picture is not mine, but i plan on getting real close to that!>>>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1098484-not my rig.JPG (75.6 KB, 41 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 03:23 AM

Re: auto vs manual

When you pull all of the Fuel injection stuff, send it my way.......and you can't have it back when you realize you've gone from 10 MPG down to about 6 MPG carb and C6 style.
Your seal for the electronics plug on the tranny is probably in need to some contact lube and/or your MLPS probably has a leak.

There are tons of options depending upon your wallet. You gotta figure out what you want to do with this, mud or rock or trail or, or, or,....

PS I really want the FI stuff if you go carbed...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 06:22 AM

it just depends on your preference. I have a E4OD in my bronco, and a stick in my zuk. I like the auto in the bronco, and the stick in the zuk. the stick gives me way more contorl, but its also tuogher to drive in the hard stuff. the broncos auto has th ease of driveability. i do plan on ditchign the E4OD in winter and sticking in my C6 that i have, but when it goes in its also getting a np208 to 205 T case. mileage will drop off big time with a C6 due to no over drive, but its all up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 06:34 AM

i agree with them i have both stick in my bronco and auto in the p-up it depends on what you want to do with it personally i like the stick but my own .02

on a side note nice ride
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Biggie_Truck

Manual is my preference. Autos bore me. I almost bought a manual 5.0 but decided that the power and torque on the auto 351W outweighs the need for manual control. Also I heard of the ease of conversion to manual and plan to make the change in the future after the D60/Sterling conversion. Off-roading with manual is definately more work but its more fun to me.

********Any links on converting to manual would be greatly appreciated!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] to that big Bronco Broncolizer!!! How about some more pics??? How much lift is that??? Are those 44s?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 07:50 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
being all that smog computer fuel injected crap needs to go...edelbrock time...

[/ QUOTE ] I'll trade ya strait up if you want. I've got an Edlebrock in the garage! lol Manual vs Auto is pure preference. Manual has the lower first gear and is built tougher externally so it is a little more forgiving when a rock drags against it. That and it is lighter and shorter allowing you a little more rear driveline angle. The biggest benefit to having an auto IMO is not having to change out clutches every year or two. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Shilo

Do you guys with manuals have a hard time leaning out the driver's window on the trail? My buddy does and we finally figured out it's cause it's hard for him to operate the clutch and lean out at the same time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey all, first off thanks for the answers...the PICTURE is not my rig...that big purple bronco; i found on the net somewhere? i plan to build my rig close to that..here's one of my rig. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1098699-90 xlt.JPG (72.6 KB, 39 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:00 PM

Nice truck,

I like the simplicity of manuals. But, I like the driveability in traffic and offroad of autos.

You should check your breather. If you just got that truck, there is a breather right on top of the tranny. You can access it through the hole in the floorboard right above the tranny. I would suggest venting that up higher.

The E4OD is a nice tranny, if you keep the heat down in it, and keep the fluid/filter in good shape.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:48 PM

here I posted it for you

stay auto its easier nad you wont be killing it all the time it is a pain in the ars to drive a stick in the rocks I cant imagine that the mud would be any easier the only reason I havent switched to auto is because the are almost indestuctible and the 6.69 to 1 first gear I have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode