jeep wrangler vs xlt bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeep wrangler vs xlt bronco

looking for a comparison between the two. jeep wrangler 4.0 manual trans vs 90 xlt bronco 351 e4od tranny? offroad, gas mileage, comfort/safety, tell me what your opinion's are... thanks. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:00 PM

Re: jeep wrangler vs xlt bronco

The Wrangler is a Jeep and as such will provide you with much better fuel economy and alot less storage space. The Bronco is a truck, as such it is much heavier and thus requires much more fuel to push it down the road. It also has alot more room to pack stuff. What do you intend on using your vehicle for? If you are going flat out for wheeling prowess then as much as I hate to say it, buy the jeep. But if you are looking for a vehicle that will get you, your friends, and your camping gear to the remote location then get the Bronco. I personally believe that you can build up the Bronco cheaper since no modification need be done to the One ton equipment (axles, ect) to make it fit as you would a Jeep. I hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

Offroad, the Bronco is more stable because of its size, but also harder to maneuver.

The Bronco will get lower mileage, but still go further because of its 32gal tank.

The Bronco is MUCH more comfortable because of its size & construction, and it's MUCH easier/cheaper to upgrade a Bronco interior. You can get an Eddie Bauer interior that's about as luxurious as a Jaguar.

The Bronco is undeniably safer because of its size, weight, & construction, ESPECIALLY when you take the tops off both.

I also think a Bronco is cheaper to upgrade/repair/maintain/modify because of the number of parts that interchange with F-Series trucks, and we all know how many of THEM there are out there for aftermarket suppliers to build for and junkyards to part out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:24 PM

Bronco all the way....same reply you got on FSB. I'm sure if you went to the Jeep guys on ORC they will tell you to go with a Jeep. It's all a matter of personal preference and what suits YOUR needs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:30 PM

i think it depends on the year my friends wife has a 90 something jeep and she cant tow much has to down shift to get up her hill/drive and is a rough ride (she has a 4 banger in it ) but then i'm alittle one sided since i own two fords both 4x4 and they will go where i want to even my bronco with 33's 4" lift and a inline 6 i dont need to down shift going up to their place if go with the jeep gwet atleast a 6 in it
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

unless you're planning to build it up into a megahardcore crawler with fullsize axles and 40" tires, I would go with the Bronco. my friend has a 4.0 Wrangler on 31" tires with a little lift and he only gets ~18 mpg, whereas my Bronco got close to 15mpg on 31" tires. 3 mpg difference isnt enough for me to pick that rough riding lack of personal space thing, especially since even a TTB Bronco will outflex it from the factory by far. It's not hard to make a beast like the Bronco flex since the axles are wide and the vehicle heavy. You can put 33's on it stock and 35's with a little trimming, which is a big plus as that makes it way more stable and more capable than a Wrangler with 6" lift and 35's. The Bronco basically dominates the Wrangler in every aspect on-road, and every off-road too until you start pumping some serious money into the Jeep, but even then there are places such as Disney OK that I'd rather wheel a fullsize than a swb Jeep anyway because of the tall ledges. I am biased, but I've driven a stock leaf-sprung Wrangler and it was a joke because it couldnt climb this off-camber rocky area near my house because it kept lifting tires and "spinning out", where my Bronco on 31's and a friend's on stock tires just powered right on up it while hardly spinning a tire. My opinion: go BRONCO or go home!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:08 PM

I'd like to emphasize my definition of 4 wheeling prowess. The Bronco dominates in off camber stuff as well as mudding. What I should have said is that if you plan on building your rig for tight trails then go with the jeep or something that will fit in some of the places that a FS won't. I don't want to insult the Bronco because without a doubt in stock form it will hand the Jeep it's lunch.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, and even that comes down to how much armor you have and how much you care about body panels [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont have a wrangler but i do have a grand with the 5.2 and quadra trac. i will say for the jeep line they are a great deal lighter but thats about it. ever since i got my bronco i think i have put 2000 miles on it in the last year and 500 were this week since i busted up the tailgate and have no rear window so secure the thing. i much perfer the bronco. just my .02
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:37 PM

yeah rescue leaving it parked in or around montgomery with the window down is not a good sugestion .i have my top off (the spring thing ) and take my belonging life in my own hands every time i go out when i park i got to think what am i willing to part with when i come out of the store and hell i work off of day street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode