Tailgate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 02:57 PM
BigOrangeBronco

Tailgate

I've seen a couple of posts lately asking about changing the innards of the tailgate over to a new shell. Well, I've done it and it's pretty easy. Took an afternoon and the nasty part was threading all the wires thru the tailgate before removing the old one and the reverse on installation. You'd figure Ford would have put a plug somewhere. I see the side doors suffer the same problem. Anyways, I changed mine because of rust. Every Bronco I've ever seen up here has the same problem. Probably has something to do with all the mud and crap that inevitably collects at the window seal area. Anyways, I had one problem which I still have not resolved. There is a small bracket at the bottom of the taigate that holds the torsion bars in place. Mine was rusted beyond recognition. I used an aftermarket shell. Yes, it fit and works well. Ford claims this bracket is no longer available and the aftermarket doesn't sell one. Anybody have a pattern or a source for this ? Also does anyone know where you can find affordable weatherstripping for the window? Ford's price is out of sight !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Tailgate

You should be able to find that bracket in a bent junkyard shell. The Ford weatherbelts (the straight ones that wipe the glass) are only ~$30ea, and the camper glass run (in the groove of the fiberglass) is FAR superior to the aftermarket versions, so it's worth the money. The last time I bought one, I think it was ~$40.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Veteran

BigOrange,
Where did you get the shell? I dont need one but im just curious cause the question of *fit* always comes up on aftermarket tailgates. I had cut out the lower section of mine few years back and with a panel crimper i installed a repair panel from JCW. Worked out ok, but some of the tailgates inner panel is now corroding but not in the structural areas.

Steve83,

Have you ever bought the side door outer window belts from Ford and what do they want for em???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

in my search for a new t/g i came across these two places. luckly steve has one that i am going to pick up this weekend.
tail gate

gate 2

i called the first place and they said freight would be a flat 120.00

hope these help
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

Door weatherbelts

I've never priced them at the dealer, but JCWhitney wants ~$50ea. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I look for decent ones in junkyards (of course [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:58 PM

Re: Door weatherbelts

Thanks for the encouragement BigOrangeBronco

It's something we're all going to have to face sooner or later, especially those of us in the salt/rust belt. I'm thinking seriously of buying a shell this month and getting it powdercoated before I paint it. Then it'll get lathered in undercoating inside after I install it and just before the glass goes in. How did the glass fit in the aftermarket unit ?

I paid $55.00 CDN last year for that wipe strip, try looking for it and the torsion bar brace here http://www.1stfordparts.com/ A Mopar buddy of mine sent me this site, as well as it's Mopar affiliate, they're supposed to have all kinds of supposedly discontinued stuff available.

Never sleeps ?! Heck rust doesn't even blink up here !!!!!!!!

Sixlitre

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 AM
BigOrangeBronco

Thanks for all the help guys. The shell I bought came from a local wholesale warehouse,
www.probodyparts.com/ It was marked as "made in Canada" and it fit just like the original. They can be had with or without the spare tire bracket and with or without the holes for the nameplate. All the brackets fit properly, the glass worked flawlessly, (after cleaning up the tracks), the holes were in the right places for the wiring harness clips. It looks great on the truck, lines up properly, etc. It ran about $300 CDN vs. the $425 an original Ford piece would run. I suspect the manufacturer may also have stamped the OEM piece, there are a lot of part manufacturers up in the Windsor Ont. area who supply the auto industry. I also got a gas tank from the same company for about $150 CDN, same story. They were in stock, in Winnipeg and I don't think this is the only warehouse this company uses. Shipping should be reasonable as they are not heavy when they are empty. As far as the weatherstrip goes, well, Ford decided to do away with dealership based parts departments around here and has centralized the parts business into something called FastParts. Problem is, FastParts does not want to talk to you, you're still supposed to order your parts thru the dealership. The formerly excellent service we used to get has been replaced with a bunch of disgruntled clowns who could care less if you get your part let alone quote you a fair price. I was quoted $85 CDN each for the outside seal and the brush strip for the inside. The end caps were not included, but I was assured they were expensive. I probably should tell the story of the day I decided I had to replace my tailgate. I was driving around with the glass down. My tailgate did'nt look too bad from the outside, but unknown at the time, all the internal braces were just about disintegrated. I stopped in a field at a friends place and was standing behind my truck when it happened. KERASH ! there went my window glass. The torsion bar retainers, inside the tailgate had let go, the bar spun, whacked the window and I was out another $300 plus the tailgate itself. Anyways, by the time I had it painted, glass replaced, (with defroster), and all those [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] taxes paid, I was out $1000. A week later, my buddy's derelect 67 Bronco, with no brakes rolled into my parked truck and messed up my new tailgate. Life sucks. Of course, I was spoiled by the shine from that new orange paint and now I'm preparing to repaint the entire truck. My buddy's springing for the next tailgate. B.O.B.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 11:27 AM
broncoman

Yeesh, lots of tailgate probs lately with our trucks. Hopefully i dont have to do what you did to mine. I just had my tailgate rust on me a little bit casusing to come apart so hopefully i get some metal in there and weld it back up [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]. The new tailgate scenario doesnt look appealing $$$$.
Nice to know though that there are some good parts for it still whenever a person does go that route.

BTW when do you know when tailgate weatherbelt is worn out? No more felt on it? Or just something a person should do every 8 yrs or so?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

When it gets too hard to flex, or especially if it's cracking. Then it starts grinding sand into your glass, making it "frosted" [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] and eventually, it exposes the steel reinforcement which does even MORE damage to the glass. It also allows dirt inside the t/g, which is why it rusts.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:10 PM

Yeah, mine 'dried out', and cracked, and scratched little lines in the glass in some spots. Glass looks ok till you get your head about a foot away from it, and then you can see em. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode