6" lift vibration......help? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

6\" lift vibration......help?

Hey guys, i've enjoyed reading your posts for some time and now i'm in need of your experienced opinion, i just put in a rough country 6" lift into my 93' bronco and i have a serious vibration coming from the rear driveshaft, i read previous posts saying i dont need to extend it and thats good, but the tapered blocks that came with the lift kit were not very tapered and therefore my rear end pinion was not even close to inline with the angle of the driveshaft, i assume causing the vibration. i threw in a couple of old tapered blocks i had gotten somewhere and it was alot closer to the driveshaft angle and consequently the vibration was about half as bad, still rather undrivable though. I'm wondering if the angle of the rear end pinion shaft should be perfectly paralel with the driveshaft angle? (in a perfect scenairo i mean) Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 06:42 PM

Re: 6\" lift vibration......help?

The problem i had with my 6" lift, when installed, was an improper pinion angle. I didnt have any vibes, though. I fixed it by getting 4 shims from skyjacker.
I did develop a bad vibe later, which ended up being the center joint in the double cardan near the tcase.

You must be getting some bad driveline bind. Id fix it fast, or its going to end up destroying your ujoints.

oh, one more thing.....did you lift the rear with a 6" block, or did you use an add-a-aleaf and a smaller block?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:45 PM

when i did my 4" rough country lift it told me to use the origonal blocks along with the pair they send with the kit .
the blocks they sent me were not angled either .i still want to get rid of them for springs but have to wait till i lift the p-up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Aprentice

I installed a 6" lift from Superlift and was told to use the factory blocks. I installed new rear springs from Superlift and they already had the adjustments shims added to them. Did you install new rear springs??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Shilo

In theory, yes, the pinion should be right in line with the d/s, so long as you have a CV at the t-case. In practice it should be just 1-2 degrees lower, because the pinion will and does torque up under load.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 02:39 PM

Do you have an angle finder, if so, where are you at now?

Pinion angle?
Driveshaft?

And, what are you running, just blocks, stacked or what?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:17 PM

You could be having a problem with your driveshaft being too short...By the math you need a shaft that is 1.25 inches longer. I just rebuilt my DC ($250) the centering ball going bad can cause vibes as well as the slip joint. The lift could have been the straw that broke the camels back with the ball causing the vibes.

Basically your third member has the wrong angle or your shaft is too short and busted your ball.....
[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
your shaft is too short and busted your ball..... /quote]

I hate when that happens.

Damn Havack, $250 for the rebuild of the DC? Did you have to get the whole thing or did you just replace the ball and the u-joints?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:51 PM

Hey havack where the he!! have you been did your computer blow up or somthing seems like forever since you posted
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:52 PM

Yeah, i was gonna say, $250 is alot of cash! Did you actually replace the entire assembly, or just the joint in the middle of it? When i replaced mine, i changed the yoke that houses the ball and needle bearing for the DC, (all my needles had turned to dust), but IIRC it only cost me about $40.

Juice, he said he installed new springs, meaing he probably got the replacement spring pack.....no block (except factory 1" block) required with those.

Heres a (scary) thought......when the truck was jacked up to install the lift.....did they accidentally bend the driveshaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode