Building a worthy steering system - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Building a worthy steering system

I don't recall this being discussed before. I could be wrong and if I am please feel free to chastise me and show me the post [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Anyway. After taking my truck out yesterday morning and flattening my exhaust pipe on a rock it occured to me that my stock steering is probably not up to the demands I expect it to perform. I was teetering on my left front and right rear going down an obstacle at aproximately 45 degrees. I could feel my steering components screaming "Uncle!" and when I looked at them later I could tell I was right. Wheras they are still functional they are slightly bowed. Anyway I was thinking of making my own steering system maybe consisting of heim joints and mounting it from the top (like they should have done it the first time! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] ) of the knuckles. While I'm on the subject could someone tell me what DOM stands for as in DOM tubing?

I was also wondering about knuckles off of a regular D44. Will they swap to a TTB? If this is the case then I believe the chevy knuckles will swap and in turn the knucks off of the old full size Jeep Cherokees should swap too. And if this last one will work I believe they came from the factory with the steering linkage above the knuck rather than under.

Also, Does anyone know if stronger Tie Rods will work with our stock knuckles? I've heard that F250 rods will work but I haven't confirmed this and if this is the case are they any stronger than the F150/Bronco tie rods?

Idealy I think a custom linkage setup would make me the happiest. Using huge as strong linkage (DOM tubing?) and Heim joints. Has anyone done this before? Where's a good place to look up the pieces? As always any help you guys can provide would be greatly apreciated. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Shilo

Re: Building a worthy steering system

DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel tubing

I think any of that's a waste for TTB. No, knuckles will not interchange.

My suggestion: weld some angle iron onto all your existing steering linkages. You can weld it on one side or both sides to form a "square." You can flip your tie rods by just reaming the knuckles appropriately.

The ream is costly if you have to buy it, everything else shouldn't cost you more than $10
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 10:01 AM

I like the idea of rods over knuckles. When looking at it I was not sure there was enough clearance up there for the steering rods (shocks and such). If you reams out the knuckle, what tie rod end do you get to fit? Has anyone done this themselves and what where the results. Sorry to jump on your post Norm, I have much interest in this one too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Shilo

I've never actually *seen* it done on a fs TTB, but check out Exploders and/or BIIs maybe? At least one of those with like the D35 TTB had the tie rods on top of the knuckles stock. Maybe the D28 too, not certain.

You'd use the same tie rods, just shorten them and/or eliminate your drop pitman arm if applicable. Just have to play with it and see what works.

EDIT: by "shorten them" I mean just turn the adjusting sleeves
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

If I built it right wouldn't it interchange with a Solid axle once I get that D60 up there? I figure with all the custom stuff and machining to the knucks ect it should work on both. Of course I could be way off here. Would mounting the steering from the top like that relieve some of the pressure on the steering that I'm talking about. I know that the angle iron idea would work but then that really makes the tie rod the weak link. I suppose that when all is said and done to get what I want will probably require that D60. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Oh well. I guess I'll just suffer with what I've got this summer. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:25 PM

I checked with the guys that make the steering system for solid axles, knuckles under, can't remember the outfits name. That was about 3 months ago and they had nothing for the 44 IFS. Someone know the site i'm talkin about?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I think Superlift builds one but I don't think it would be interchangable with a SAS. Maybe I can't build one setup for two different axles. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Shilo

Yep, it's not likely you'll get one setup that will fit both axles.

Since you know you want a king pin 60 front just go hy-steer at that point.

On my 60 I couldn't flip the tie rod to the top of the knuckles 'cause it'd interfere with the leaves. I beefed my drag link with angle iron (it bent once) and am just saving $$$ for hy-steer arms, tubing and SRE's.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 05:06 PM

I put the question too JBG techs for knuckles under on the 44 IFS. Looking at mine, it might be a clearance prob with the front shocks and/or shock mount. I've replaced my drag link and steering rod thing 3 times now. The last set I bought was lifetime gauranteed. I suppose they may not honor that if I welded angle on. I'm sure I'll have more problems now with bigger tires.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 06:03 PM

im using 3/8ths wall tubing for my steering. i got lazy at the time and just welded the ends in good, but later iull mak eit adjustable. i cant bend the thing, i have tried already.
heres a shot to show you the strength beofre it was welded up

over the kuckle steering on the 44 its on. Reemed it out with my KD tools ream i used for my trac bar fix. seems to be the same taper. it works real well. good spot for me to give you a shot of it mounted and to display a stuck from the jeep BBS run
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode