WD40, spacer dimensions??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

WD40, spacer dimensions???

Doug,
If you dont mind me asking, think by any chance you recall what dimensions (I.D & O.D) on those coil spacers? Even though i had no problem unbolting them when i removed my radius arms, im just trying to avoid doing it again just for a measurement at this point. My front end is definitely sagging due to the winch & its bumper, since i got all kinds of scrap round stock in our hydraulic shop, along with some really impressive lathes, i can save a few $$$ here [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Im guessing that the I.D. has to be around 1.300" to fit around the hex on the stud, but not sure on the O.D...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: WD40, spacer dimensions???

I.D.
I think your guess is about right on there.
However, like you, I don't really want to pull it apart to check. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
It's at least an 1/8" larger than the hex.
I couldn't find washers to fit the I.D., so just ground a few down to fit.
(The washers were used to space up the stud enough to get a good bite on top for the spring hold-down washer.)

The O.D.
Now that, I can measure, but suffice to say it's the same as the small (lower) end of the spring cup.
Remember the pic? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Bluebeast

i have one out ill get you the measurement

the hex cut out is 1 and 3/8 from side to side and the whole disc is 3 and 1/4 in diameter.

i used 2 hex discs for the front of my truck. i would have gone with the cicles too but didnt have enough room. the cirlce cut outs are 13/16 in diameter.

have fun makin em ur gonna save some money doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 08:36 PM

Why not get the rubber coil spring spacers? Jack it up slip it in, ride higher get some rubber to flex and keep from bottoming out. Lifted the wifes 91 explorer enough to avoid realignment and to restore ride hieght.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:27 AM

There are several problems with using those. Although they are simpler to install than the steel spacers, they do not work in the same manner. The steel spacers raise the height of the truck by moving the coil higher up on a perch. This does not have anything to do with the coil. Though it will affect alignment camber.

Now, the rubber ones you are speaking of are inserted into the coil itself, like circle track or nascar style. This affects the coil spring. Compression of the coil is reduced. So your overall suspension travel is now being limited. These spacers can work themselves loose. I suppose if these rubber spacers were thick enough, they could acually increase the ride height as do the other kind of spacer, but the main approach with these is in stiffening the spring on compression. So, if you are happy with your springs feel now, and are just trying to compensate for added weight on the front, the steel spacer is the way to go.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks guys, [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bluebeast: is that I.D. measurement on the flats of the hex, or in the corners?
The reason i ask is im just gonna bore a round hole as i really dont think its necessary for it to be a hex, just as long as its tight up against the points of the hex on the stud, if im making myself clear [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Blown: 80-up broncos have pigtail coils (in which the ends are much narrower than the body) i dont think those rubber spacer seats work well with these type coils though i had used them in the past on trucks with *straight* coils w/o problems.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Bluebeast

that is the id measurements from side to side

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode