!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Larnach

!!!!!

I had planned to get my rear end rebuilt on Wednesday, the gears are coming, but one problem... I was getting together all the parts I need to give to the shop, I have everything but the following... the plastic pinion flange, I have the yoke, but not that plastic part... everywhere I go they want $65 for it! And I also am missing my shims for the differential, where it rest in the main caps but I assume most shops have the needed shims because its a spec thing right?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 01:04 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: !!!!!

Shims should come in the gearset master install kit. $65 is a joke man, find a toasted housing in the junkyard or something, jeesh! what is that plastic thing for anyway, I've noticed it but never studied on it too hard?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 01:36 AM
Larnach

All the yards around here are a freaking joke... $800 for a used rear end? $1300 for used seats, freaking Ford charges less than that for new seats!

The shims, which are about 1/2" thick do not come in the differential rebuild kit, nor do they come in the trac lock clutch rebuild or the trac lock internal rebuild kits.

I think that plastic peice is just to keep the pinion seal from getting damaged... anyone?

Thanks.

Dammnit I wanna get this thing rolling, September in Pismo will be its official break in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 02:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

It's called a "slinger", and yes, it's just to protect the soft lip of the seal from sumberged logs (oh, wait - this isn't on muddy's truck [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).

I'd hook you up, but I'm using the only one I have on the axle I'm about to install under my truck. It would take me a few days to track one down & ship it. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My diff kit didn't come with carrier bearing shims, either, but I got lucky and the guy setting up the gears was able to get it to spec with the shims I had. I do have a few spares of them that I could send, but you have to have the pinion installed permanently before you get to the carrier setup (backlash).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Larnach

I thought the slinger was installed before the seal, its almost like a washer.

The flange I'm talking about is what is attached to this yoke.

Thanks again ppl!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
protect the soft lip of the seal from sumberged logs (oh, wait - this isn't on muddy's truck [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]
you dont know how funny that actually is... on our last trip to a new boggy place we found I came through a hole and I started noticing this grinding/dragging sound. I got out and looked under the rear, and sure enough I was dragging a huge log between the rear brake line and the ground [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] How I managed to flip the log up over the housing and point it perfectly onto the line I dont know... I guess I'm just that damn good [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"overhaul kits" dont usually include them, but "gear install kits" usually do... no big deal, surely you can find those cheap somewhere (kinda like that $65 plastic piece [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Mud in my Veins

I thought I had already ul'ed this pic, but I just added one of a 5' tree stump jammed in my lower shock mount. I must've impaled it, then driven the root end forward &amp; up out of the mud. It took quite a bit of kicking &amp; prying to dislodge it. I think there's still some of it in there, though... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Larnach
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, too. Most OE ones are plastic.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Larnach

My Chilton and Haynes both show the slinger > seal > flange.

You think I could get away with it not on there? Or no?

Thanks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

It just exposes the seal to whatever you're plowing through, but it shouldn't cause any problems directly from not having one.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Larnach

Right on. I got one for free! Also ordered the slinger and the gears, should be here tommorrow afternoon, installed on Wednesday and the truck should be moved by Thursday evening! IM STOKED! Get to tackle the rear main seal, coat the chassis with RUST TOUGH [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] New polyethelene tank is going in along with a two new fuel pumps and sender unit, redo all the wiring and plumbing on the frame rails... the list goes on and on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode