Axel wrap,what it is. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Axel wrap,what it is.

Under hard acceleration the pinion climbs as the torque is applied through the pumpkin. Causes loss of traction because torque builds, pinion climbs, then wheel/wheels break loose/spin briefly, grab again and the whole thing starts over. The pinion can also dive upon break or decceleration. We like traction don't we? And we don't like broken drive shafts or at least u-joints do we? Axle wrap can break things!
I got it, I'm sure. This is what I be gonna do about it. I've heard it and felt it (yerk/hop, yerk/hop, yerk/hop, now I've seen it. I attached my video camera under my rig. I took a clue from an MPEG I found online. I don't have a digital camera or would share mine with you. I do have that mpeg but don't know how to post it.

I am going to build a traction bar for the rear, not unlike 80broncs posting lately "been busy lately". I've attached a jpg of what I want to do her and in the next frame. I have axel wrap because I have an eight leaf stack, the leafs are thinner and more flexy and I put 400 ft lbs. of torgue to them. Axel wrap may or may not be a problem for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1093391-HDTractionbar.jpg (65.7 KB, 94 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: Axel wrap,what it is.

Another pic. You can buy one of these for $300, yeh. I am assembling the component to build it. I bought a Johnny Joint, think it is also called a Birfield joint. It is for the front Joint and allows up and down as well as some side to side movement. The rest I can fabricate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1093405-TractionbarHD2.jpg (31.3 KB, 72 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Shilo

Sweet. So next time I'm cruising up I-25 en route to Denver I can swing by and we can fit one to my rig, eh? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

Ha, I've seen that video too! I believe it was on an early Bronco and when he hauls some balls the pinion starts dancing [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Traction bars are good, not only is wrap bad for the reasons you state but also it puts a lot of force on the spring perches, which will pop lift blocks out (trust me) and can also rip perches right off the housing (seen it happen, not pretty). A bar like that is on my "to do when the weldor can afford a welder" list. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
good luck with it! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post and additional info. Like Shilo, dude man, drop by and we'll do it for less than $200. Looks to me like a good day maybe half day project. I'm anxious to get one on to feel the difference and save my shtuff from breakage.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

My Bad, it was burnedbronco who posted the traction bar on his zuk.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

A Birfield is a funky CV joint - what you got is probably a Heim.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Right, I stand corrected, saw a shattered birfield this last week end. I got a hiem joint.

Watched these guys working their way through a trail near here call Patriot. A 4++ revine rock crawl. Saw a FJ40, wrangler, zuk, and yota p'up break. I think they must have been winching their way out till midnight.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Wow what a difference. I got my traction bar done and installed. I used to be able to get the wheel hop spin yerk! Now it just launches without any bind or wheel spin. Off course I can still spin-em in the dirt. I'll post a pick tomorrow. I field tested the thing making a run in the Rockies (No breakage & no binding). I found that the bronc reacted quicker when climbing a rock because the axle was not winding-up. Seemed to just go!
I have about $85 in materials into it (steel, johnny joint, and bushings) The Johnny Joint was almost $50, but is the key to letting the thing move. I found it at web page I used Leaf spring bushings designed for 1/2 inch bolts and tubing the proper size to fit em. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Pooh-Bah

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]!
So, "where's the pic"?! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode