Crazy Camber - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Crazy Camber

Anyone run into gaining a whole bunch of camber when they back up their TTB truck? I think mine has always done it to a small extent, but now it's real bad. The tierod ends, balljoints and wheel bearings checked out ok. Also the radious arm bushings are new and tight. Axle pivot points and/or springs could be dead. Those are next to check. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 07:58 AM

Re: Crazy Camber

Where have you been! I've missed you terribly! Glad to see you back. Wish I knew something about your problem but I don't. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Shilo

My rig always did it. I thought this was normal for all TTB rigs?

In fact I thought "crazy camber" was a synonym for TTB?? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:02 PM

I've seen that in my bronc too! It is better now that I have the caster much closer to spec.and took out most all of the positive camber. Makes you wonder what is loose/worn. I tried finding something and could not.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:39 PM

Thats what my truck is/was doing right before i took it to the shop for my 'death wobble'. The alignment was perfect after pulling forward, but if i roll backwards a couple feet, it suddenly have a LOT of negative camber. Like, alot more than ive ever seen before [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I think its related to my wobble, but im not sure yet.

By the way.....where ya been man? Havent seen ya around in a while, i hope everything is ok
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:42 PM

I'd think that a good set of Radius Arm bushings would help with this but I don't know what yours currently look like.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Veteran

Me Too!!!
Everytime i back it up and park, looking at the tires it looks like my front end is totally screwed up [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], But, its starting to sound like its just another TTB trait!

Already got poly radius bushings, so that aint the culprit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Radius arms are good, they're a couple months old. My best guess is the springs are even more dead than they were before and magnifying the ttb's evil tendancies... I will report back on what I can figure out this weekend.

Slightly OT: I have a set of air bags on the way for the front coils. I'm going to plumb them together with some big diamiter hose and tap into the OB air system via a regulator. The goal is to get a little passive forced articulation that is driver adjustible. I don't expect anything mind blowing out of it, but it should do something.

Really OT: Everything is ok with me. Been busy with a bunch of changes, all good but it all adds up to beating the piss out of my down time. Got to get around that somehow. 5 AM. Got to sleep.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

reptillikus
I had what felt like a wobble above 50 mph or so. Did you find out what caused your wobble? Now I have the airbags in and it is gone, at least up to 65. The airbags with 10psi also got rid of the squirrelly darting around on the back roads. The darting around is what made me start looking at the front end. So I think I have some really dead front springs. I'll keep them because so far the airbags make it all ok. The bags aren't hosed up yet. I want to be able to run them isolated for the road and hosed together for the trail, along with selectible pressure. So later today I'll be cruising for fittings and dash space!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:30 AM

My problem was the pivot point for the passenger half of the TTB...it came loose, and was letting the axle move about a half inch or so side to side. My passenger wheel bearings were in need of grease, bu i dont think that had any impact on it.
Since then my alignment is better than it was before, but i still have a very slight shimmy at 35. Nothing faster/slower than that. And it didnt seem to fix my crazy camber issue when in reverse. Blasted TTB! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode