hidden winch mounting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Bluebeast

hidden winch mounting

i am planning the next big project to do behind my parents back and i want to build a hidden winch mount to go between the frame rails behind the stock bumper. has any on heard of this. i know that the newer f150s can get em and thats how i want mine so all u can see is the fairlead and the end of the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:44 PM

Re: hidden winch mounting

It doesnt seem like it would be that hard of a project to do, after all, that is a huge bumper we're talking about [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
i think what i would do is build a new corssmember that attaches to the bottom of the frame rails, for the winch to sit on top of, and then just cut a hole in the middle of the bumper for the fairleads. Of course, i would also re-inforce the bumper alot, it bends quite easily when hit [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Bluebeast

do u think 2x2 solid bar is strong enough for the cross member. i was thinkin two inside the frme rail dr side to pass side and drill holes in them. if the bumper is too likely to weld i could put the winch s far forward that the fairlead would be connected to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Bluebeast

heres what i am talking about [image]http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/showpic.php?pID=49223[/image]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Mud in my Veins

2x2 solid is strong enough to stop a train! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] And about as heavy as a train, too. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] What year truck are you talking about? I don't think there's enough room between the bumper & the core support for a decent-sized winch, much less some 2x2.

Think about a hidden hitch reciever and a slide-in winch.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 01:03 AM
Mud in my Veins

hey that's funny that you mention this... while i was measuring my frame rails and grill area for bumper specs, I noticed that I could almost tuck a MM winch between the condenser and the end of the frame rails and not even hang below the rails. it would pretty much be impossible to operate the levers with a bumper in front of it, but as i recall most electric winches dont have any levers, as they're all autoclutch now... right? ahh freespool, ok one lever to account for. it's about a 8x8x34" area on my truck, so if you let it hang down a couple inches below the rails I think you could actually fit one in there! There's not a whole lot of reason to get that crazy about the approach angle though since the departure angle will be so much worse even with a big bumper and winch hanging off the front. If you are feeling crafty, you could rig up a hinge system for the plastic grill and make it flip up to allow access to the winch levers and spool, but that's a project... otherwise known as work [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

those 2 bars are gonna run you about 80 pounds (and about $80 too) [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]! a sheet of 1/4"x12"x36" steel plate would only be a quarter of that price, and a third the weight. that is a more sane mounting platform, but even square tubing would be enough and make more sense than solid bar [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I'm pulling all these prices from www.onlinemetals.com by the way.. I dont know how they compare to local prices but it will give you a good comparison for prices of various sizes/shapes of metal, plus you can look at the weight per length on there and figure out how much lift you'll need to add to your truck when you're done [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Shilo

I'd highly recommend leaving the front of the winch visible. Not being able to see your spool is a major PITA and poseur design. When you're on the trail you need to see if you've got a rat's nest. IMHO of course
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 10:20 AM

Muddy, I would stick with 3/8 for this, not 1/4". Any of the mounting plates I have seen from the winch dealers will use this.

There is room there though. That is my plan eventually, but will mount the plate to the top of the frame. There is room there to put like a Warn HS9500. Not sure about the design with the integrated solenoid. I was just going to cut away the top of the bumper. Favorite pastime seems to be cutting up my bumpers. Won't be much left of them before long.

This way, you will be able to see the front and top of the winch, as Shilo mentioned, so it's not really a "hidden" winch. It's just a way for a secure mounting without having to go buy some manufacturer's expensive winch bumper, when all you really need is a properly designed mount.

That 2 x 2 solid is overkill though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Bluebeast

well the reason i said 2x2 solid is because i got it and i have 1/2 plate too . i dont know about a hinge system or a hidden hitch bc i dont wanna take it of and on and with it on a hitch you can take it easier. a kid at sckool had his stolen while he was in class and he had a lock on it and all. so i think i can fit it i am going to measure in a bit and see. i got the deminsions from warn last night even the hole placement and i think its gonna work. just gotta measure everything to make sure its kosher and ready to go bc when i start i dont want it to not fit when i am finished and appraoch angles are noting bc my departure sux with the new bumper and that doesnt really phase me bc its welded to the frame in the back. i was planning on usng the XD9000 bc i have alll the time in the world
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Bluebeast

does ne 1 have a hs9500 or a xd9000 winch? i need to see how the fairlead connects to it as to wether or not i can place it as far forward as i want. on the other hand the 2x2 solid i being changed to 2x2x1/8 and i will use 1/2 plate for the base and it will sit sorta inbetween the 2x2 peices with the 1/2 welded to them. but all i need now is the fairlead mount and it seems with all the measure ments that it will fit 1 and 1/4 lower than the front bumper which is nothing to me. and if the fairlead comes out right it will sit at the bottom and i will be able to see the spool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode