To the knowledgeable Welders out there...... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

To the knowledgeable Welders out there......

I want make a bumper do little projects nothing major (yet) and I have never welded anything. yes i plan on learning but would like to have the equipment to practice at home. As far as making things, and reinforcing things, which kind of welder should I get. I was at the local Hardware/home improvment center and seen a few different types all had different prices too. There was your standard electric about $200, Hoses, gauges,and set up for gas- $200, different sizes of Mig/Tig welders from $300-$800. I just don't know which kind I should get. Any suggestions would be appriciated. I would also like to stay in the $500 range if you think that is appropriate. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: To the knowledgeable Welders out there......

I'm no pro, but since no one else has replied, I'll throw in my 2:

The little wirefeed/MIG boxes aren't heavy enough to penetrate much more than 1/16", and you need to go halfway through whatever you're welding. That limits them to 1/8" steel, which isn't thick enough for a REAL bumper (1/4"). The rule of thumb is that you can penetrate as deeply as your wire/rod is thick, so you need 1/8" rods to weld 1/4" plate. (You weld each side for 100% efficiency & max strength.) If you're gonna do bodywork, they're perfect because wirefeed is so much easier to handle than sticks.

TIG is almost like torch welding, and takes a LOT of practise to do well, but it's best suited to REALLY fine work, or exotic materials.

For a bumper or general gorilla-welding [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], an arc (stick) welder is the way to go. You need DC & reverse-polarity for full functionality, so don't get a cheapo A/C-only.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Bluebeast

i weld and know many welders and imo i would go with the normal "cracker box" welder with the adjustable dial. its a stick welder but those are the kinda you wanna use if ur reinforcing things that will need alot of tensil strength. (ie i welded my lift brackets on) and you dont need all the fancy hoses and migs. i my self prefer mig but on the truck arc welding is #1 unless its cosmetic. so basically i rambled on and should have just said that the normal welder that can be set from i beleive 65-225 is plenty good to make and reinforce stuff for ur truck. and yes practice practice practice. i took me many hours to be competent enough to weld on my own rig.

ps i go to school and thats all i do for 3 hrs a day 5 days a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

There have been several discussions on this BBS about MIG vs stick welding and whether 110v MIG welders are hot enough to weld sizable 4x4 stuff, so that might be a good place to start. MIG is nice, I've done stuff from sheet metal up to 1/4" on it, but that was on a nice $4000 220v machine. I dont think you can get a decent 220v machine for under a grand, and many folks will tell you that a 110v cheapie MIG wont get hot enough to do 1/4" stuff, though I've heard otherwise from a few.

Anyway, one way you could go is with a AC/DC stick welder, such as the Lincoln ACDC 225/125 machine that retails around $375. With a 7018 rod and DC current, you can lay down some welds that look like they came off a MIG machine and still be able to blow through 1/2" steel with awesome penetration. (heheh, welding gives you a reason to say penetration on a regular basis [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). You cant weld sheet metal with a stick machine, but you could buy a cheaper smaller 110v MIG machine to do that if the need ever arises. Don't get the plain jane AC225 welder that's around $250, you cant use a 7018 rod with AC and trust me, 7018 rod becomes your friend after you wrestle with 6011 for awhile [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

There are some 110v MIG welders near $500 that specify up to 1/4" (some even say 5/16") metal, so they're worth looking into, because MIG is great compared to stick... no changing electrodes every minute, no slag removal, easy arc starting, awesome welds, etc etc.... i'm just a little skeptical, but for sure if you're going to weld something 1/2" thick for a recovery point or hitch, you're not gonna do it with a 110v MIG unless you're really creative with your fit-up of the joint [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good luck, welding is where it's at! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Mud in my Veins

ok, here's one of those 110v MIG machines I was talking about:
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...eet.asp?p=2515
Capabilities include welding 24 gauge through 5/16" mild steel plate. Install K664-2 to weld 22 gauge through 12 gauge aluminum.

Honestly, it's a dream come true if you can hook that sucker to a 110v outlet and weld 5/16" in one pass with MIG quality for right at $500. Maybe they mean you can go that big if you come at it from both sides, I dont know. If it's true, I'd go that route because you could pretty much weld anything with such a beast, though your duty cycle is probably crap at that much current. That's not such a big deal for a hobbyist though. I'm planning to finally get a welder this summer, so this has my brain wheels turning too. Steve has a good point about welding both sides, but sometimes that's not possible, such as welding tubing together.

I wouldnt be dissatisfied with a DC stick machine at all, but I'm curious about these claims that Lincoln makes for their smaller MIG machines... too good to be true?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hmm, and to continue my rambling... Lincoln also has a 220v MIG box that says it can go up to 1/2" plate, and it's around $600 retail. I didnt realize you could get a machine like that for so cheap... hmmm now the jury is really out [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:54 PM
aaronfeeney

i weld for a living...to start,a good ac/dc stick welder is the way to go for strength..any time you want strength you need to grind a bevel into the joint to be welded(unless it is under 1/4")do 1 pass with 6010 rod(i like 3/32")then fill the bevel with as many passes of 7018 as you need...6010 gives better penetration w/out over heating, 7018 adds tensil strength and turns out prettier.on flat or overhead welds use littlecircle patern,on verticle start at the bottum,go side to side (this will be ugly)last pass go top to bottum for looks..ive welded 16 ga sheet metal w/stick but its not easy,so when you can spend another 500$ on a 110v wire welder,using the gas is nicer but innershield wire is cool w/practice....practice a lot and saw the weld open to check penetration before you do anything that could break causing injury or death.......

i welded my jeep frame extensively 10 years ago and a lot of abuse ago and its still ok...im about to tear down and do it all again to make updated major mods...good luck [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
that was the closest to a welding icon i could find
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Bluebeast

i have a small (little bigger than a milk crate) lincoln mig flux core and its alright but like you said the ones you show are the kind to go with. but we have had to penetrate two pieces of 3/4 with some pretty big rods and they did the job great and so did the mig at school.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 PM
BigOrangeBronco

I don't consider myself knowledgable, but I am lazy and MIG is the way to go. I have a 220V single phase machine that is an outdated body shop item. I picked it up for dust, repaired the power control circuits and have used it extensively over the last 10 years. The feature I like best is continuously variable wire feed and heat controls. Everything else is pretty well useless. If I had to do it all over again, I would look into TIG machines, but they don't come cheap.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 08:19 AM

My dream machine is a Lincoln Milelectric 220 machine. It retails for about $1700. Yeah... It's gonna be awhile. What do you guys thing about the old style stick welders? There's one for sale at the college for $350. I didn't look at it too closely but it kinda looked like a jukebox with a nob in the middle. I know that they made things to last in olden times so maybe this is a deal. I'll take a picture next time I'm up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode