anyone here do paint jobs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

anyone here do paint jobs?

just wondering if anyone here is a paintman? my bronco needs paint, & well...MAACO SUCKS! looking for a ruff idea of what it will cost to paint a sanded down to bare metal.(i'll sand it) 90' xlt fullsize bronco.-minus the top! i want it painted midnight purple. maaco wanted $800.00+ that was a joke! any info, thanks. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 07:54 AM

Re: anyone here do paint jobs?

I have a motto. Nothin' to it but to do it. Figure out what you need to paint your own truck and then do the whole thing. You may be surprised that Maaco's offer isn't that bad or it's also possible you will save alot of money and learn something.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 11:10 AM

Did the $800 include body prep or was that just for paint?Most of the cost in a paint job is in labor for prep,sanding etc.Next is the cost of the paint which can be a couple hundred bucks or more depnding on what you use.$800 bucks to do prep and paint is actually cheap.To just spray the truck it's probably a little steep.If you are going to sand the truck to bare metal it will take several primer coats and alot of sanding to get the surface ready.Then a couple of base coats and some final wet sanding and clearcoat.It's alot of work to do it right.Also alot of shops may not want to just spray paint after you do the body work.Reputation is alot to paint and body shops.If you don't do a good job on prep HIS paint job will look bad.I would say a turn key job on a 90 bronco with only minor dings, no major body work, done right would run over a grand easy.If you do only the initial sanding you have'nt saved him a whole lot of expense.He still has all the above mentioned work to do.

Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the answers... i think later this summer, i'll spend the moo'la on a paintjob! for now it's rattle can.(only the normal paint peeling on the hood) right now i want the rig restored & the drivetrain upgraded. looking for all the answers that will help. my plans are to make this rig big! but still very solid for offroading. years ago i had a monster 79 chevy 1/2 ton shorty...now i got a family & we all can ride together in the bronco. extremely big bronco...any ideas on the cost of a good lift things that go with it? i plan to run 38" nothing too big nothing too small. what gearing would be practical with a auto tranny to run 38"? as for motor & tranny? i figured a'little hi-po parts & this old rig will run pretty nice. so for now that $1,000.00 for paint will have to wait...i'm selling a 89 suzuki sidekick to help buy the wife a mustang...once she's in the stang- the cash flows my way again...off to the store for 4x4 parts & back under the vehicle i go, with beer. i love life. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1091564-Zukpirate.JPG (96.8 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode