Anybody ever rebuilt a C6? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Anybody ever rebuilt a C6?

Mine needs to be done and I don't think I can put it off much longer!

I've been very easy on her for a while now, but it's getting to be about that time. I got a little over zealous today on the way home, forgetting about my delicate tranny situation.

Anyway, I've never done any tranny work before..........BUT that's never stopped me before.

I know that the local shop here that I've done business with in the past uses rather cheap parts and I'm sure that rebuilding trannies all day gets a little tiresome. They sometimes don't get everything just right. I've had 3 trannies rebuilt there over the years, with mixed results.

I'm thinking that this may be a good opportunity to learn a little about trannies and make a bullet proof tranny cheaper than I could have one built.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Anybody ever rebuilt a C6?

Sorry, but before I get ahead of myself:

I need to try and tightening the bands, or so I've been told. Now then, that is really nice.

I don't know how to tighten the bands, or sure even exactly what they are. I know kinda what they are, but not exactly.

Tutorial anyone?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Pooh-Bah

This thread has a picture of the intermediate/drive band adjustment stud and nut.
You'll have to get your trusty manual out for the proper adjusting specs:
Loosen the outer-large nut, tighten the inner (square) stud to a certain torque, then back it out a specified amount.
Takes about 2 minutes at the max. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The low/reverse band adjustment is internal.
You'd need to remove the pan for that one. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

You are the man!

:HAIL:
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

How much adjustment can be made?

The book says to torque it down to 120 inch pounds ( I also wrote foot....), and back it off 1 1/2 turns exactly.

You can't play with this a little?

EDIT: So I adjusted it according to the book, but to no avail. It was fairly loose. I've now turned it in about 3/4 of a turn from the proper adjustment. I still have a slip from 2 to 3, although less noticable.

Something happened today when I peeled out in some gravel (on purpose).

It would slip from 3rd to 2nd when coasting, which at speeds is kinda nerve wracking!

Anyhow, I'm gonna adjust it another 1/4 in if everybody thinks that will still be safe.

What happens if you over tighten?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:47 PM
BigOrangeBronco

Re: How much adjustment can be made?

That band adjustment may not be a cure all. The kick down linkage also can affect shift points. Low fluid can hurt. Maybe change your fluid and filter first. Of course, band adjustment is not a routine procedure, you adjust it because something has changed internally, this is usually not a good thing. Back to your first question about rebuilding, you probably are going here eventually. Get a good rebuild manual for your transmission, (check out ATG). They are not cheap, but you don't get this kind of info out of a Chilton's or Haynes manual. You probably will get a "master rebuild kit" which includes all soft parts like seals and gaskets. You may need hard parts like planetary gears if they are broken. They are sold seperately and usually are not cheap. Maybe find a donor tranny for parts. 2WD ones work fine and are usually cheaper than 4X4 tranny's. The only difference is the output shaft and rear extension housing. I think the truck C6 may have had different gear ratios than the car C6, so do some research. You may need some special tools, but you can usually fabricate or adapt existing tools in most cases. As far as skills go, if you can stack parts in the right order and make a few precision measurements, you are a fully qualified tranny mechanic. At least you are as qualified as the trained ape who will probably put your tranny together at Joe's tranny shop and Deli. I have not had good experiences with tranny shops and while there must be some good ones out there, I don't seem to find them. You may find the tranny parts business seems to be a closed shop. You're probably right, but the counter guy can usually be talked into it. Just don't expect a liberal return policy and pay cash. One final suggestion. keep everything clean! This means buying lint free shop towels instead of ripping up old rags. Good luck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

A little back ground information:

This tranny has been suspect since it was installed. The flywheel literally shattered about a year ago. Along with it went 3rd gear. At the time I had ZERO spare time to fix it, so I had a shop do it for me. The shop is family owned and our families go back 3 generations.

Anyhow, they purchased this tranny from a rebuild shop, installed it and it slipped. They tried to fix it but couldn't do it. When they went to take it back to the tranny shop, they found the place to be closed, out of business.

Since I needed other work to be done and the tranny wasn't that bad, just had an infrequent slip and wouldn't engage into park properly, I struck a deal with them. They did the work I needed done and we called it even.

I fixed the problem with park. But the slip has always been there and never quite goes away. Before today, it's never gotten worse either.

So yeah, I'll have to do a rebuild in all likely hood, in the near future no less.

So, what happens if you adjust the bands too far?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 01:58 PM
vitaminc

I rebuilt a C6 about 8 years ago. The intermediate band goes around the outside of the reverse/high clutch drum. It is engaged to shift from 1st to 2nd. On the shift from 2nd to 3rd the intermediate band is released.

If you overtighten the intermediate band it will cause it to drag on the outside of the drum when you are in reverse, 1st, and 3rd gear which will eventually burn it out. I would recommend adjusting it back to spec.

Your problem of slipping between 2nd and 3rd sounds like the intermediate band is disengaging faster than the clutch is engaging. This could be due to the vacuum modulator which controls the shift to third. Pull the vacuum hose off the tranny and see if there is any fluid in the line...this would be a sure sign the modulator is bad. The 3rd to 2nd downshift also sounds like a vacuum issue. Otherwise the problem could be in the valve body.

It's been a while since I've messed with an auto tranny...maybe someone else can give more concrete advice.

If you do decide to tear into the tranny, a good manual, an EXTREMELY clean work environment, and a real attention to detail are essential...but I'd exhaust all the other options before undertaking the project.

BTW - the C6 I rebuilt lasted about 20,000 (albeit abused) miles and I've since left the tranny work to the professionals so take my advice for what it's worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode