I got my lift!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

I got my lift!!!

I got my 2 1/2 Rough Country lift today. Hopefully me and a few of my friends will be installing it this weekend. Then I will try to get it into the shop for allignment as soon as possible. Does any one have any warnings or advice about installing it or any thing that has to do with the lift. Any input at all will be greatly appreciated.

I have an 81 F150 supercab 4x4 and I got a Rough Country 2 1/2 inch lift kit that includes front coils, rear blocks, front axle drop down brackets, front and rear shocks and rear u bolts and a couple of bags of hardware with grade eight bolts.

Anyone know how easy they are to install, and roughly how much time it takes?

I was considering eventually either adding add a leafs to the rear or replacing the blocks with add a leafs. (I like the slanted look, plus it will keep me from staring at the sky whenever I have a lot of weight in the back.

Sorry for the long post, but i'm really excited about it. Again any feedback, whether criticism, advice or comments, will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:54 AM

Re: I got my lift!!!

alot of guys here have done this lift. Did yours come with drop brackets. Some do and some don't. I believe the adjustable nuts for the ball joints are possible for this lift too but I don't think you can go wrong with the adjustables no matter what lift you put on TTB. NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:32 AM

You'll have to do some grinding on the middle drop bracket to clear the crossmember - I couldn't get mine to fit without taking off some material.

The paint on my brackets was crap, flakes off with your fingernail...I stripped mine and powdercoated them to minimize rust.

Get the drop pitman arm.

It's a straight forward install. Aside from the grinding on that one bracket, went right in.

The Bronco sat 1" higher in the rear after the coils settled, so your truck will be at least that. Takes a month or two to beat the coils into their settled position - It'll sit level for a while.

I did the install in ~4 hrs, changing to poly bushings also. Mine is a '96 from California, so there was no rusted or frozen bolts to deal with. That'll slow you down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 04:43 PM

its not that bad i did mine last july using their 4" lift took me 3 days working off and on (was in no hurry ) and i did 98 % by myself the hardest part was grinding off those [email protected] rivets when i do my 82 f-150 i'm using a torche if use a torche take care to NOT burn up your wires and fuel line that runs down the frame
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 04:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You'll have to do some grinding on the middle drop bracket to clear the crossmember - I couldn't get mine to fit without taking off some material.

[/ QUOTE ]
mine went right in with no problems the only thing i wish i had done was replaced the bushings while i had it apart choke it up to lesson learned
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks a lot. I need a drop pitman arm? I thought those were only for lifts 4 inch or higher? How will the brackets hold up if they aren't powder coated, how much would it cost to powder coat them? Thanks again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 PM

You don't need it but it seems most enjoy the results of having everything is propper allignment. Go for the drop brackets, They don't cost much and you will be happier in the long run. However you will be cussing my name as you grind those rivets! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Would it be possible to add the pitman arm later? Course then it would have to be realigned wouldn't it? How much do they go for? Do they make them for 2 1/2 inch lifts or would i get one for a 3"?

The kit came with front axle drop down brackets if thats what you're talking about. Or do you mean for the radius arms or something else?

Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 AM

<font color="blue">BigNorm</font color>'s referring to the Radius arm drop brackets...not necessary with the 2.5" lift you're doing. You did get alignment bushings? If not, you'll have to buy them from the alignment shop when you take it in. Don't be surprised to pay an additional $40 for them.

I installed the lift without the pitman arm, and the bump steer was terrible. They say you don't need it with the 2.5", but <font color="blue">WD40</font color> and I say you do!

It's the same arm for the 4" lift kits, I ordered mine direct from RC - $40ish.

You'll have to reset your toe if you add it after your alignment.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 07:57 AM

Listen to them. I did a Rancho 4" with the extended arms so I'm assuming alot. They actually did it. Good luck. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode