voltage question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

voltage question

i finally got around to replacing the power lead for my winch the other day. got it all wired up and re spooled the cable. i have noticed that my voltage guage is reading higher than before i wired the winch up. i could understand lower voltage due to a short or something but higher? i have not checked it with a volt meter so i do not have a base line(before install) to compare it with. i have added acceories to the electrical system ie. 8 hide-a-way strobes, vhf radio, sciren/pa. i did not have any problem with only these installed. any ideas? is there a built in voltage regulator inthe alternator that could be shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 05:33 PM

Re: voltage question

Yes, the voltage regulator is inside the ALT. for your year, as to it being bad because it reading too high? what is the actual out put of your ALT? if it's between 12-14v it's good. Mine reads 13.27 i have the same ALT as you but it's a 140amp'er.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:06 PM
beerstash

Slickerthanyou--what kind of ALT do you have? I need one around that neighborhood of 140. Thought about the 220 from Powermaster in Knoxville,TN-they also have the 140 I'd been looking at. Mean Green had a couple of ALT's but there for CJ's [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Oh well. Any help is appreciated as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:20 PM

Here is a Pic, I got it at a local [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (no longer in business shop). It cost me $100 + my old one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1090957-fun stuff 012.jpg (73.9 KB, 14 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok, left the bronco at home all day(developed a new squeak from the engine compartment) the bat was 12.45 volts. i started her up and the battery measured 14.8 volts. checked at the power distrubition for the strobes/vhf/pa and it was also the same reading, probably because its hooked directly to the battery.

now i have to try and also track down the squeal. gotta love a project. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:16 PM
BigOrangeBronco

14.8 is a tad high, but not dangerously out of range. Your voltage regulator could be faulty. You don't have to pull apart the entire alternator to change it. It comes out the back of the case with a couple of screws. Still, if it is going bad, the rest of the alternator probably isn't far behind. Auto part stores sell rebuild kits which include new regulator, rectifier, brushes, bearings, etc. for $50 or less. They are not hard to do. Mine took less than an hour with no special tools. Beats a couple hundred for a new/rebuilt alternator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode