302 to 351 conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

302 to 351 conversion

Hey guys new to the board but not to a tried 302. It is now time to convert the 87 Bronco over to a 351....has anyone done this conversion? and if so do you have a complete list of what I will need? Pretend I am an idiot when listing the parts.

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:33 PM

Re: 302 to 351 conversion

If you have the 87 302 then you should already have the TPI setup. What do you plan on doing with your Bronco? If wheelin' is the thing then that 302 should do the job. alot of guys (myself included) would be happy to have a 302 with FI. There is power to be found in the 351 but I don't think it will equal the amount of work that it will take to put it in. Going from injected to a carbed 351 will probably lose you the power you are looking for so you will have to find and injected 351W. For all the work you will have to do I'd go for the gusto and do the 460 conversion. go the route of MAF 460. I don't know where the computer bolts up in the 460 engine bay but I'd venture a guess that it is the same place as where the 302 computer lies. Like I said, I don't know what you intend on using your vehicle for. If it's for everyday driving and wheeling then I'd just stay with the 302 and spend my money on gears. If you are a mud freak then go the route of the 460 but keep in mind that all the drivetrain should be beefed up for the task. I'm rambling. I hope I helped some though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Bronco has already been geared to 4.56 with Auburns front and rear and 35's. I wanted to go from the 302 MAP to the 351W MAF injected for the power as we all know we drive vehicles that pound the wind into submission, or that is what I am trying to accomplish. I wanted to go with the 351W out of a later model Bronco so that I may still pass emissions and get to the next gas station without running out of it. As much as I want a 460 I need the economy of a 351W injected. I know that I need the motor, I'm trying to find an engine(new) that is a full roller with harness and computer. It is my understanding that it will bolt up to everything after I get the new injector, as to what size I am not sure. Can yall lead me into the light??

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 AM

Believe it or not I've heard the 460 doesn't really guzzle that much more than any of the other motors if you stay off of it. You either have a little motor workin' hard to push the beast or a big sucker barely huffin'. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 10:00 AM

hmm you can watch my dads 460's gas gauge go down.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 10:34 AM

<font color="blue">Steve83</font color> has/had a complete '96 MAF 351W for sale.
Pics of it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where abouts is he. Do you think that he would be willing to part some of it out. I will be getting a new long block but I need the electrical and maifolds and such. Can you shoot me his email addy??

Thanks

Mark
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Mud in my Veins

go to your "my home" up top and go to "send private message" and enter "steve83" in the user field. he will probably be here sometime tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode