Won't start in morning/white powder inside dist. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Won\'t start in morning/white powder inside dist.

I took my cap off distributor and there is this white powder stuff inside, It can't be good and must be why she don't want to start in the morning. The engine spins but doesn't start after about 15 tries it starts and runs like sh!t till it warms up. Then it runs but feels like the timing chain is slipping or there is a hell of a miss. Any ideas on what is the problem with the powder? Or Starting issue? - Bob[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Well I have a spare cap/rotor I'm going to use. Timing is good, plugs look good (at least the 4 that I pulled[#1,#4, #5,#8]) look good. I'm wondering if this aftermarket Module on the distributor is goobered, that is why sometimes I have no problems and sometimes I do. Fuel pressure is close to 40psi and you can smell the fuel out the exhaust when it doesn't start. I'll see how a new cap does. That white powder covered everthing inside the distributor??? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Won\'t start in morning/white powder inside dist.

Only thing I can think of is that you got some really hard water in there and the white is calcium deposits the water left behind when it evaporated. Would explain the lack of conductivity in the distributor and the resultant hesitation to start until the coating was rubbed away, but i doubt this was the cause unless you tended to go river fiording every afternoon after work.... I cast my vote for new distrubtor and happy thoughts. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:23 PM

I'd switch dist caps like you said you planned on doing. I've heard that a small squirt of wd40 helps keep things dry in the distributor too but I've never tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, it started right up this morning, but don't have a clue as to the powder?! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It is running really rough but is running [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I guess I'll see what happens in a few days-Bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok, Friday got towed home because I was sitting in traffic and it was idling then just stoped! Replaced coil,cap/rotor, took EEC-IV plug off and resiliconed it no start. Saturday morning and all day Saturday runs no problem, Sunday runs in morning then to the car wash as it's idling it stalls again, can't get it running get towed again [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. Then Sunday afternoon after about 3 hours of sitting starts right up, Idles real ****ty from 1300 down to 500rpm? What the hell is going on. That white powder stuff tasted like electric sh!t. Pulled the distributor out and cleaned the whole thing, everything looks normal. Put it back in and she starts right up, I run to the store and it won't start-TOWED AGAIN [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. I give up. It's cold here in PA gas prices up to $1.80gal. I am out of options.
Today starts no problem but idles ****ty drove it 138 miles today and she started all 8 times. One thing I noticed is when it doesn't start you can smell gas real bad- I have no leaks (that I can see) I replace the gas filter every 5,000mi. I am going to pull any codes in a couple of minutes and see what I get. Anyone have any ideas I open for suggestions. Must be Electrical.[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I got two codes #85 then #32. 85-Cannister purge solenoid-circut failure. and 32 means EGR valve position (EVP) sensor- Voltage is below closed limit or has gone beyond set limit. None of these would cause my symptoms. I've had these codes since i put this engine in. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That white powder stuff tasted like electric sh!t.

[/ QUOTE ]
is that testing procedure in the Haynes? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

maybe you have excessive gap between your rotor and cap? distributor vent holes all open? plug wire shorting out to block? (MANIA could tell you a little bit about that [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 02:38 AM

Could it be a bad module? I don't have any idea what is causing the white powder but I have heard that the modules will work fine when they are cold and then crap out when they are hot when they are getting bad. I'm not an electrical guru either but it would be cool if it was as easy as changing the box. I'll bet they are a dime a dozen in the wrecking yards. Hope this helps. NORM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

The module is newer, less than 6 months old (I guess it could be bad still [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]?) [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Have you ever replaced the PIP in the distributor?
Maybe thats malfunctioning, if you have a vise with some soft jaw inserts along with some really small pin drifts, they ar easy to replace provided you can disolve all the crud built up on the distributor shaft. BTW, what kind of cap you running, aluminum contacts or copper?
I have an ACCEL cap with the copper contacts, they dont get build up like the aluminum ones.

Muddy, that short in the plug wires to the exhaust manifold is just a trademark of those motorsquirt 9mm so-called performance wires made in taiwann [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

That just wont happen with my MSD super-conductors... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode