Rim size, Tire size - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:03 PM
BroncoDan

Rim size, Tire size

I want to put beefier tires on my Bronco.
I have a "93" EB Bronco with stock size 235 75R15 tires.

To go with the wider and taller tires, do I need to go with 16" rims? Is that even doable?

Also, I've been told that with ABS brakes, I can't deviate from stock size, but people on this board says that's ridiculous. Are there any modifications that need to be done (say to the ABS) if I put larger than stock on or change rim size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:55 PM

Re: Rim size, Tire size

You should be able to put 32/11.50s on there with no problem. You may have a little rubbing with the newer body style but alot of people have done it. Wheel diameter doesn't matter. You will probably want to stay with a 15" wheel because 16s are expensive. as far as width goes though you may want to consider going to 8 inches. I think stock is 7. But I think that the 11.50s would fit 7" no problem. If you want more info on this do a search and I'm sure you will find tons of links. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

a 44" Bogger will mount on a 15" wheel, and there are way more big 15" tires than 16", so stay with a 15" wheel. i wouldnt go over an 11.5" tire on the factory width wheels, but i'm sure people have put 35x12.5's on stock wheels and not exploded into a firey blaze. ABS just measures the relative speeds between your tires, so as long as they are all the same size it wont affect the ABS.

Also, just FYI, you could go get some 20" chrome ghetto wheels and mount them up (as long as they are 5 lugs on 5.5" circle) and not cause problems to anything either... the truck cannot tell what diameter wheels you are using. However, if you got a newer truck with 17" wheels, you could not run 15's because the brake calipers would hit the wheels... just like you could not run a 14" wheel on a bronco for the same reason. look inside your front wheels and you'll see what i mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 11:17 AM

You can put bigger tires on. I would also recommend sticking with the 15's. You probably have a 15 x 7.5" if they are stock. You can use those or go with 8's. the ABS will work fine. What will have to be adjusted is your speedo via the PSOM, and the guys here long ago posted how to do this very simply yourself. When I inquired at the dealer about a speedo adjustment on my '95, they quoted me about a $125!

did it myself with a little basic math...It is now dead on. took two tries to get it perfect but it only takes 15 minutes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 01:29 PM
BroncoDan

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I'm confused on one thing, are you saying that I can put wider (as well as taller) tires on the stock rims I have (without having to go with wider rims)? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

up to a point. Think about the cross section of the tire and rim.... you don't want the rim itself covering too little of the circle formed by the tire, or the tire will just pop off the rim in any adverse circumstances. With stock rims, you can probably go 35x12.5, but to play it safe, i wouldnt go beyond 33x11.5.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

interestingly, i think you're better off running a 38x12.5 on the stock rim than a 33x12.5 because there's so much more distance between the tread and the mounting rim that it wont pull the tread shoulders in as much as the 33's would. in other words, the sidewall will sit at a less severe angle on the 38's than on the 33's, assuming they have equal tread widths. besides going by mfr specs, i dont know how you'd determine whether a certain combo is safe or not, though. if you go with a wheel way too wide, it's makes breaking beads easier though, that much i do know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode