custom rear blocks/coil spacers PICS! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

custom rear blocks/coil spacers PICS!

OK, finally did the install this last weekend. Went pretty smooth. The first rear block I did was a bit of a pain to get in there, but once I knew how to pull the spring a bit, the other side was a breeze.

the only hitch I ran into was the front. Just couldn't get that stud to come loose. It was partly because I was not armed with a big enough deep dish socket. I did go ahead and put on 2 of the 3 spacers on each side up front, so that was worth 1/2". That takes no time at all, it is the stud I will need to go back and work on some day.

Anyway.... pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 04:03 PM

Re: custom rear blocks/coil spacers PICS!

Cool deal Mark! Take one of the whole truck setup now! How does it sit? What kind of leaf pack is that in the rear that is alot more leaves than what I have. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 04:28 PM

so how does the pinion angle look?
Im glad it went well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 05:53 PM

Looks good, and it doesn't look like you use your front sway bar? I've been thinking of the disconnect again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

I like!
I guess there was one thing I failed to mention in our "PM's". [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
I used a deep 6-pt socket and a 3/4" breaker bar, with at least 2' of pipe added to it,
in order to break that stud loose. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
That was after soaking it in various liquid penetrating chemicals for at least a week.
Did you try heat at all?
I know once I got mine off, there were definitely signs of ample amounts of Loc-Tite applied to that stud. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....in replying to everyone....

BNorm, I will take a pic of the whole truck soon, maybe I will get a good one wheelin this weekend going up to Tilamook forest again. By the way, Peterson's rag just did a quickie article on a trail in Tilamook they recently visited.

Pinion angle....using my craftsman protractor, it appears to be exactly as before, or at least within a degree or so. The truck still has that little shimmy at a certain speed range, but now it seems to have actually lessened a bit. Not a biggy, but hey, at least it didn't start shimmying more.

WD....do you remember what SIZE socket that was? I only have up to 1" / 27mm, and these did not fit. I have a 3/4 breaker and pipe to fit over. I just need to know what size socket to get. Using a strut spring compressor (two clamps to the outside of the spring), I can actually get back in there to try again in less than 1/2 hour per side. I have heat, I went and bought a little torch nozzle for propane. It is the same size fitting as on those little coleman green camping propane canisters, so I assume I can use it on one of those? I also have ample liquid wrench.

The rake of the vehicle is such that it now sits a tad high in the rear. that is OK by me since it has the softop and no back seat. It I were to load it, with full tank, or tow with it, it will sit level.

I will probably have to mess with the camber bushings soon too. The 1/2" added did add to the slight amount of positive camber I already had. It didn't do much, but I was already running between maybe .5-1 degree, I would guess it is now about 1-2, which is too much.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much was all of this? where did you get it? Do you need to get an alignment on the front? I was looking to gain a little bit in the rear of my truck and a little in the front would this be a good choice?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Pooh-Bah

Stud nut size.
IIRC, (it's been a while) 1-1/8". [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I Thunked it all up, and then assembled the pieces. The coil spacers are item numbers 1088 and 89 from Superlift. I paid $13 per each pair of 1/4", so $39 there, got them from 4WPH. Superlift says you can go up to 1" this way, though youbeter have a long enough stub bolt, I chose 3/4" because the 1" would have been pushing it with the length of the bolt. Even then, that bolt is a PITA to get off, as I mentioned.

The rear blocks are custom. I designed the template I wanted and our moderator has a friend that produced them based on this template, proper slope, height, pin and hole size/location, etc. That was $50 + shipping, which will not be cheap for these since they are heavy.

totally figure about $120 for apx. 1" lift. this is lift that will never sag. Not bad IMO. And since I was doing this myself, I would much rather mess with the suspension than try to tackle a custom 1" body lift.

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

the only alignment this messes with is Camber. If you already are experiencing some + camber, as I am, then yes, a camber adjustment will be necessary. If your truck has some negative camber (front tires appear to angle in at the top), then this would correct that somewhat, and an alignment may not be needed. Nothing else changes (toe or caster), so if these are good, they will be good when you are done.

honestly, I think you may wish to consider one of those kits they sell that has a 1-2" spring for the front, and then maybe an add a leaf in the rear. The reason for me doing all this is that I have a 4" lift from Rancho. But, like all the kits everyone seems to sell, it "levels" the vehicle from sitting nose low/high in back. So, the 4" kit is really 4" front /3" rear. I now have a 4.5" lifted front, 4-4.25" rear. The truck appears to sit a tad nose low.

Hey BigNorm, I just remembered you asked about the large spring pack in the pics....I had mentioned before that my lift is a dual add-aleaf per side. So my stock pack had 5 leafs, you take one out, and insert the two replacements. They are the same thickness as the stock leaves, but have a bit more arch. They did add a bit to the spring rate, but the truck still rides great. this approach is best (IMO) if you are going to use an add-a-leaf. the single ones usually eventually begin to sag as the stock spring rate wins out. Full length add-a-leafs are also preferable.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 09:07 PM

I'll second that size to 1 1/8th socket. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode