Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Sweet sounds (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/152921-sweet-sounds.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 02-03-2003 01:15 PM

Sweet sounds

Want to make my F-150 sound like a newer mustang. How do I do that? Is it the motor itself, or the mufflers/resonators they use. If so, can I get them? How constrictive are they?

BigNorm 02-03-2003 07:50 PM

Re: Sweet sounds

I don't get it? There are ways of improving performance but what does the way something sound have to do with it? If you improve your airflow you are going to gain power because you are allowing the motor to inhale more air. While this happens of course more gas is required to mix with the air. If you are looking for more rumble then have a glass pack put in. If you want some more airflow out of the deal then research your options. I always liked Thrush's turbo mufler because they are inexpensive and provide a good airflow. There are others out there that are much more costly but with the amount of room you have in a bronco going to a larger pipe sized mufler will probably get you what you need. Alot of mustangs run duel exhaust and to get duels going out both sides you will have more bends then what it's worth. Although some folks still do it. I have considered running duels out the passenger side by stacking the two pipes on top of the other and having them follow the same path out the back. This would probably work well with the Body Lift I plan on doing in the future. If you are into driving fast it may be good to let you know that our Broncos are the equivelant of driving a brick, meaning they are not verry good dragsters. If you really want a cool sound then drop a 460 under the hood and you will be making the mustangs wish they could sound like you. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM

BRONCOMANIA 02-03-2003 07:53 PM

Its the entire exhaust from the factory header style manifolds to the tips, they have 4 free-flowing (for a factory application) cats, mufflers and mandrel bent tailpipes. I had a complete exhaust system off a wreck, but it just was`nt practical to modify it and attempt to make it fit a 4WD bronco.

But they do sound Sweeeeeet!!!

Shovel 02-04-2003 12:23 AM

Get rid of you muffler. That should do it. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

86convert4wd 02-04-2003 05:35 AM

Mine sounds great without a muffler. Quite (enough) idle but gets loud (not enough) when i get on it.

bucknbronc 02-04-2003 08:51 AM

I have a glass pack it has nice tone, but not loud. My high idle drowns out the exhaust! I have been thinkin' of the straight pipe thing, and get rid of the muffler.