rear-end hops when first moving. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear-end hops when first moving.

Its not a big prob. But I want to ask to make sure it wont cause bigger probs later on down the road. I have a 5 speed and when ever I take off in first gear, no matter how slow or low of RPM's I give it it hops for a few seconds when I let off the clutch. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I was wondering if yall could give me your thoughts on why it might be doing this. I just replaced the fly-wheel clutch and slave cylinder about a year ago. Another thing, when I put it in 4 wheel drive it dosen't hop no matter how hard I try to make it. Could it be my drive shaft is at too much of an angle or what? Any suggestions would help a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 07:55 PM

Re: rear-end hops when first moving.

heres my theory, when you start off the axle twist a little clockwise changing the rear u joints angle so it creates a pulsation in the drive line then once you overcome the initial friction it takes less force to move so the axle doesnt twist clockwise.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:01 PM
rustyolred27

sounds like a typical case of axle-wrap. this is indeed woesened by lifting a vehicle such as yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That really sucks, what do you think can fix the problem? Will I need to extend my drive shaft or what? Is there a way to stop my rear axle from twisting like that? [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:06 PM

When you lifted it, did you use a block, addaleaf, or replacement springs? A block of that size would definitely cause axle wrap.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I used all block....I have been thinkin about changin it out to leaf though....would that fix the pro you think?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:39 PM

absolutely. using a block that size is like asking for broken ujoints. Change it, and when you do, check all your ujoints in the driveshaft to see if theyre still good or not
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:40 PM

You can bet if you put springs in and torque to specs then recheck, you should have no wrap-up. Who had that pics of the rear axle that was cracked at the third member I can't find it, that's something you dont want... I was thinking it could also be tranny mount too. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]-Bob
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice fellas, I was thinkin about changin to all leaf springs and after hearing what you guys have to say I am deff going to do it as soon as possible.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 11:41 AM
rustyolred27

new springs will definitely solve your problem. lucky for you you havent broken any u-joints with axle lift blocks of that size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode