Rear Window Dyin! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 03:23 AM
broncoman

Rear Window Dyin!

Well, the rear window is struglin to go up and down and isnt sounding to healthy so Im figuring its the common motor gear problem thats been mentioned. I bought the part that Steve83 mentioned ($$$) [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] and going to tackle it this weekend I hope. I dont recall too many people on this board doing this yet?? Anyone have any unexpected surprises while digin inside the tailgate.

Im going to follow those instructions that was posted on this board in the tech column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 04:35 AM

Re: Rear Window Dyin!

Watch your fingers and hold the arm in place before the last motor bolt is loosened all the way. Those arms are sprung tight enough to give you a good "AW SHlT! " Owwie and scare the hell out of you at the same time. Other than remembering this small thing. It is a relatively simple job. It was one of the first things I did to my Bronco. I haven't had a problem with the window since. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 10:51 PM

Ahh, aint that the truth! I helped someone fix their tailgate, and when those arms snapped back, it scared the crap outta me! Thank god i was wearing gloves, ir it mightve shaved some skin off [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Oh, and i warn you now, the wiring isnt going to make much sense at first (at least, it didnt to me). Overall, it shouldnt be that hard to do, especially since your window still rolls. That right there makes it alot easier to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 12:28 AM
broncoman

Finished the tailgate this evening and wasnt too bad of a job, just a little time consuming. Turned out it wasnt the motor gear/pins, they looked real good after 8 yrs of abuse. Now I have this expensive part collecting dust that I cant return [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Actually it was the sliders on the end of the arms that was causing the window to jerk and make the motor work hard. It was dry/rusty and the nylon part at the end of the arm that the slider rides on was very hard to turn. I smoothed the pin that this nylon part was attached to and seems to work a fair bit better. Still it looks like trouble a few years down the road. Wonder if you can buy this part at the end of the arms that the slider rides on [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyways working much better for now. Maybe have to just grease it every few yrs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Mud in my Veins

Yes, you can buy the nylon blocks with the ball stud attached. You have to grind off the riveted ends of the original studs to attach the new ones.

How much did you pay for the gear kit? It should only have been ~$15. Why don't you think you can return it? As long as you didn't install it or open the package, they should take it back.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Veteran

My rear window goes up & down ok (replaced the whole motor a few years back) but it creaks while going up, would those nylon parts you all speak of be causing the creak?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

i've had an annoying squeak from the t/g forever, if i beat on it with my fist i can hear it squeak too, could that be those joints or will they only affect things while the window is in motion? it about drove me mad when i had the out of round tire on the highway... had to turn the stereo on, but then i missed all the funny (and sometimes useful) trucker comments on the CB [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 12:11 PM
broncoman

The part wasnt cheap, after taxes and in CDN $ it was $130. It includes the main nylon gear with those cams inside, the steel gear that turns the arms, the motor cover plate and some gear lube. The instr. from this site seems to agree about the cost of the part as well as it mentions the cost of about $70 US which seems about right. Its a special order and cant return those items, were only about 4 in all of Canada.

Steve, I assume you can only buy those nylon sliders and the metal pins it attaches too from the dealer? Might be something I should get before it gets discontinued. Most of the rust seemed only in that one area so its a good place to check if your window isnt operating very smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode