Newbie. To buy or not 81 Bronc? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 02:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie. To buy or not 81 Bronc?

Hey whats up. Dont flame me - Im beggin for it right now but please be patient.
Im not really into offroad or anything. I just like broncos. That said, I heard about a Bronco that seems that it might be pretty damn cool. Its an 81 black Bronco with black leather interior. As far as engine size, I am not sure, I belive its a V8 [302 or 351?? dont know]. Its a single owner car and belonged to this lady [now shes around 70 years old] who litterally didnt do much more than drive it 5 miles to work everyday. It apparently has 86k miles on it. From what I hear the car is in mint condition and has been taken care of - she just replaced the roof liner in it. Im assuming it has a lot of bells and whistles, as in power windows and locks and all. If I got it, I would do some minor modifications exhaust, intake, etc. I want this car as a day to day city street driver. Shes askin 5, which seems high to me, I think maybe 3-4k. I need to actually see it in person and get it checked out by a mechanic. What I want to know is, what do you guys think about getting a car that old? Are there any things I should look for? Is there anything unique about the 81s?

Thanks for any response. Sorry to be such a newbie here, but I gotta start somewhere. Im checkin the car out this weekend probably. Are there any other forums I can check, possibly less off road affiliated sites? Any info is greatly appreciated! Also, any good places to buy aftermarket accessories for anything from exhaust to light covers?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 08:45 AM

Re: Newbie. To buy or not 81 Bronc?

Check it out man. If it is in as good condition as you say it is then it may be worth what she is asking. Check for rust in the wheelwells and the tailgate. I'll bet she never even put it in 4WD! Make sure all the linkage works properly. Finally when you are done inspecting to your satisfaction. Offer what you would like to pay while being reasonable. If she isn't willing to haggle then you aren't out any less for trying. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Good luck! You have to wheel it at least once though if you get it. You won't become obsessed. HONEST [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:15 AM

Rust is certainly enemy#1 ... check the corners where the body mounts to the frame & the tailgate in particular. Like Norm mentioned, if it hasn't been used in 4wd, the front u-joints may be frozen up, the t-case may be full of sludge - make sure it all works, & if it doesn't there's a good reason to knock a grand off her price! Does the back window go up & down like it should? Tailgate operates smoothly? How's the seal on the removeable top? All these things could help you whittle down the price.
I think 80-82 had a few things unique to those years, but I couldn't pick one out, right off the bat. If its a solid truck, well maintained, looks & runs good ... it'd be a good investment, but for 5k it'd better be cherry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'd move along personally, older Broncos have gotten cheap. A friend of mine picked up an 86 with perfect body and working A/C for $800, and it went right into service as a 40 mile round-trip commuter. Then there's the lifted 89 (elec fuel injection of course!) on eBay for $1500 that looks to be really nice... even if you had to pay shipping you'd make out like a bandit from what I can tell. Early EFI Broncos around here dont fetch much, so I wouldnt pay more than $1500 for a carbed one personally, but things might be different in Cali. Lucky for us (unless we're selling ours), most people dont realize how awesome Broncos are, they want the Expedition with the power butt scratcher, and they're only gonna get cheaper... if my insurance wasnt so high, I'd have a fleet of them [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 09:46 PM

i've got an 80 and love it but 5k is high i see 90's going for 2k here. when ya take it out see if she will let you go solo then you can really see what it will do ( it also helps so they dont have heart failure on you ) i scared the crap out of the guy (around 60-65 yrs old ) when i took mine out i ran thru the ringer [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode