Smog Pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Smog Pump

For what it is worth to you guys.....SMOG DELETE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Smog Pump

that is cool, but i recall somebody on here saying you could just get a shorter serpentine belt and bypass the pump altogether??? am i making things up? i cant recall the routing, but from memory i dont think that would cause any problems. does that idler work on trucks? i know they are primarily to please the mustang guys.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:35 PM
froggy

You can also get them from jegs. Hold on , ill try to find it in the magazine and give you a price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:44 PM
froggy

ok it was 89 dollars in jegs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Old Hand

I did it cuz all my smog crap burned in a fire when on of the valves plugged up. This was before i got my 89 pickup and thats why i got it so cheap. I just pulled the smog pump out and used a 885M K6 belt. I'm not sure of the length of the original belt but it seems like a waste to spend $100 to retain it. The new belt cost melike $20 and i was even able to use it after my saginaw swap. The routing is the same except where it comes off the crank it goes right up to the alternater. I'm not sure about later trucks but i know it works on the 87-91 body style. If the belt routing and pulley size/location is the same it should work
I definatly made more power after i pulled the pump off.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Shilo

You're right. For pre '93 trucks at least you can just remove the pump and get a belt 2" shorter. The belt you mention sounds like a Kelly Springfield from Autozone, 885 is 88.5" (length) and K6 is just 6 grooves. Your original belt shoulda been 90.5".

In '93 Ford got stupid and added an extra pulley for no reason, I'm not sure if this would still work on '93+:

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Old Hand

I actually thought the belt 885 was the measurement in MM. 88 inches is over 7 feet. I knew the K6 was the # of ribs. Maybe Ford put the extra pulley in there to deter us from removing smog junk. Fools
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

which pulley did they add? i know there were some changes in late 93 production models because the FORD parts guy gave me an idler and tensioner for the old style setup and it didnt work, so he then gave me stuff for a 94 and sure enough those were the right parts. mine is Mar 93, btw.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Old Hand

I have starting from the alternator going clockwise
ALT tensonier idler ps pump water pump crank(smog goes here) ALT
From the pic Shilo posted it lookes like they added the lower idler between the alt and the smog pump.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Shilo

I'd bet those belts are over 7 feet if you were to cut them and run in a straight line. I do believe it's inches.

Looking at that pic, I theorize Ford did what they did so the belt could get a better grip on the alt pulley. That looks like a factory 3G alt, too. Maybe that style alt moves the pulley in toward the center of the motor more, lessening the belt's bite on the alt pulley if it comes straight up from the air pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode