Should I buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Should I buy?

I found an add in the paper for 2 older model fords. There was a '78 3/4ton with a 460 (broken timing chain) and a 77 1/2ton with a 400 (with carb froze shut). He's asking $250 each or $400 for the pair. He lives a ways away from me (50miles), so towing the suckers home is gonna be a feat. I have not looked at them yet, nor do I know if they are 4wd or not. What I know is what I have listed here, but do you think they are worth the asking price, based on what little info there is?

I figured if I do buy them and find out that its gonna take more money to get them running than is worth it, that I could part them out for at least one good axle (maybe the front 3/4 ton axle if its 4wd) and get most if not all of my money back.

So what do you guys (my life-savers) think about this deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 03:19 PM

Re: Should I buy?

If the 460 in the 78 is original, then it's a 2wd. 4x4's didn't come with 460's in 78. The 77 might be a 4x4, cuz the 4x4 Fords only came with 351M/400's from 77-79. If you already own a 73-79 then they're worth it as parts trucks. If not, it would take a lot of elbow grease to get your money back. Trust me, Ive tried. I've come to the conclusion, I can make more money working at McDonalds then trying to part out and sell trucks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

The 77 sound like a good deal to me (I'm not real sure what all goes into a timing chain fix - like other parts that need serviced), because he said if he poured gas into the manifold it fired right up and ran until it used up all of the gas. I have a guy at work that has a nice edelbrock (sp?) 600 that he's trying to get rid of for around $100-150, so I figure for $400 I could have a second beast. OF COURSE, I have to look at it to see if its even worth the effort, but it maybe the buy of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:28 AM

Alot of times when a timing chain breaks it can cause alot more problems w/in the engine---lets just say it can cause a pretty good knock.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

due to this reason, I'm not considering, too strongly, purchasing the 3/4ton.

What kinds of axles come with a 3/4 2wd?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:09 PM

Am i missing something here? If the timing chain breaks, then all heck breaks loose inside the engine, seeing as the t-chain is the connection between cam and bottom end crankshaft.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Juice, that's what i'm thinking... bent valves, cracked pistons, warped rods, cylinder damage would all seem possible [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 AM

A 78 460 should have a free wheeling valvetrain, meaning if the chain breaks, there is enough clearance between the valves and pistons that they won't hit or do any damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode