Brake problems : part III - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Brake problems : part III

If any of you recall, i re-did my rear brakes about a month ago (to make a long story short) after having my front pads overheating due to lack of properly functioning rears.

I replaced the shoes, wheel cyls, all the hdwe and turned the drums, lubed the shoe contact areas and adjusters w/lubriplate. all was fine for a few thousand miles but now the pass. side rear is grabbing and squealing like you hear on trailer brakes on a big rig but only below 15 mph. when i let go of the brake pedal at a light, you can feel the truck rock as that wheel releases. i took the drum back off, slid off easy not overadjusted, and everything appears fine and all parts are in the proper place. i relubed the backing plate where the shoes contact it, OK for a few blocks- then the same s#*T starts back up again [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

I did notice the backing plate has about a 1/16th of an inch wear where the shoes contact it on the top part, anybody think thats enough to create this sort of problem?
The plate isnt bent nor is any fluids contaminating the pads, i also noticed that the front shoe is 1/3rd the way worn down already (i recall the rear shoes are basically for use in reverse?) but thats a lot for 1 month , and i checked that the wheel cyl pistons are moving out on both sides.

Is there anything else i may be overlooking ? ? ?

Drums brakes are [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Brake problems : part III

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Drums brakes are [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, sure are! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Mania, I have come to the conclusion that you were born to race cuz slowing down is just not your forte [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i can roast a set of shoes in a couple months but only if i've been in mud... it sounds like maybe your rears are doing more work than they should. have you tried slamming the brakes while driving backward? that seems to help adjust and seat mine when they are sorta working (do pedal and ebrake). good luck, i know YOU are going to need it [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I will give that a try mudders but this is getting embarrassingly loud [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] not something you would expect to hear coming from a bronco, a box truck maybe... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I dont know what to do, maybe try another set of shoes. are backing plates available aftermarket or is it a dealer item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

i've never really thought of them as wearing parts, so probably the dealer or jyard. you might have said this already, but what condition are your drums in? when mine get grooved, they get loud [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] eventually they settle down though, as the shoes contour to the crappy drums [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 09:10 PM

good luck finding a backing plate, i went to ford to get one for my itty bitty and they didnt carry it, ended up playing with a angle grinder some sheetmetal, fender washers, body hammers and a couple welders to get one that works.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

ahh, if you cant find one at FORD, surely you can come across a scored housing at a jyard that they'd let you pick off of cheap.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:47 PM

and im shure he knows that i can give him one off one of my many trashed 8.8's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode