Making a hydraulic Winch? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Making a hydraulic Winch?

Interesting project. I think i could make one from a winch spool off of a old wrecker that i can easily pick up for cheap and a hydraulic motor. Any info on what motors milemarker is using would be great.
The probelm i have right now is trying to think of how to run it off the Zuks steering, but retain the full hydraulic steering when winching. How does milemarkers valve design work exactly? I'm trying to figure out how to divert flow, but still beable to run the steering for a reasonable price.
thanks!
I know muddy will also be thinking how he can do this now that I brought this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Making a hydraulic Winch?

yeah, i've thought about this before, but when i started adding numbers up, it's just as cheap to go with MM's setup. however, if you can get a cheap pto winch, it would be worth trying. their valve is a 3-way design: neutral position puts flow all to the valve A, which goes to the steering box. position 1 puts flow down the lines in one direction, and position 2 puts flow in the opposite direction. i wouldnt worry about having steering while winching, just stop winching for a second and turn your wheels where you need them. the motor they use is 18ci for the 10.5 and 12k models, but I dont recall at the moment what brand they use. the electric valves i've found are pretty expensive, but there's no law that says you cant use a lever like the tow truck guys use... they are way cheaper.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 10:00 PM

I seen a custom Bumper Winch on a F-450 it was a Transit truck From the port authority around here, Like the Bronco-Air system. I have been thinking of this for a while now I'll try to get a pic in this next week. Bigassbumper!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 AM
Veteran

Dont know what kind of volume a Zuk pump puts out but i heard over on the toyo forum how painfully slow the MM hydraulics are with their PS pumps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 07:39 AM

Now we're talkin'! This is why these boards rock! Ideas that work put into practice by those with little funds. Wheel on Brothers! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

what power steering pump? zuks didnt have any. I put one off the scout which was the axle donor. the scout had a saganaw pump, and those can handle the load. I will be overworking this poor pump though between front hydro steer, winch, and then propably in a year, rear hydro steer.
hey muddy, thanks for the info. Im will just use a lever i guess to control it, and your idea sound simple. Now all i need to do is figure out the pump to the winch setup.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 07:43 PM

Gosh, I wish you guys hadn't brought this up again. In past posts, I was real focused on the MM 10500, but in some recent discussions I have had, I am now wavering again, before forking out the hard earned $$.

Mainly, the concern is speed. In your case burned, the Zuk sounds like will be equiped with a pump that does not serve for power steering, so that is good. A designated Sag should work well for you.

back to the speed issue, we started discussing a couple things. first was how much pull the winch would typically see in our usual stucks. well, these are not 30 degree incline, 5 people and a ton of gear, and a foot of mud type stucks that I would see. It is more typically helping another just pull free or myself. often this equates to probably pulls in the 4k to 6k range when you think about it. Speed wise the advantage is with Warn, though probably not by much. The other thing that got me thinking of usage was a story told to me about while someone was winching, the truck began to teeter at a spot where line slack had occured. due to the situation on the hill, had the winch not began to pull faster due to the lessened weight, and the line speed of the high speed series warn winches in general, the MM in this case would have been to slow in the pickup and would have allowed this Bronco to start falling backward off the hill. by the time the winch cable hit "taught" it may or may not have been able to stop the momentum backward.

Now, to turn back to "typical" pulls seen, the weight I referenced above also means that the amp draw is often less than people talk about when citing negatives of electric winches. Don't get me wrong, we are still talking about 225-310 amps typically, but a good alternator upgrade and a good battery can handle this as long as the engine remains running. electics don't do long pulls, you have to rest them, and as they rest and cool, a performance alternator can be doing it's job.

The whole electric vs. hydraulic continues to rage with me. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Another alternative is, i just watched an episode of Monster Garage and jessie james and his crew rigged up a dual belt driven hydraulic pump on an old hearse to operate a couple bobcat buckets, maybe that will have the flow to get the cable moving??? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Pooh-Bah

I don't think "crushing cars" is the purpose of these winches though. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Watched MG yesterday too! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Mainly, the concern is speed. In your case burned, the Zuk sounds like will be equiped with a pump that does not serve for power steering, so that is good. A designated Sag should work well for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
it does serve the steering, it works the full hydro steering. It will switch though lik emuddy said when it comes time to winch.steer with a lever on the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode