Sixlitre's Exhaust - long/pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Sixlitre\'s Exhaust - long/pics

Cripes!
Our connection finally came back up at work! It's been down since yesterday morning. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Anyway, here's <font color="blue">Sixlitre</font color>'s exhaust pics.
Why do I have em?
Cause, I wanted to see how he did the "cat-disconnect".
My system is solid from the head-pipe back.
Harder than he*l to get to the bellhousing bolts, even with the system disconnected from the headers.

Here's his set-up! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

I know, the first thing <font color="blue">TheJuice</font color> will mention....
"What's those pogo-stick thingys hanging down in the back??" [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 02:41 AM

Re: Sixlitre\'s Exhaust - long/pics

Nice work! I clicked and pasted half of those to my photos. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 05:36 PM

Thanks WD-40

for posting the photos and for your original photos, which took a lot of the guess work out of doing my system. A picture is definately worth a 1000 words when explaining what you need. Just wish I'd snapped a photo of the system out of the truck after all the welding was done. Guess I'll have plenty of time to do that as the years fly by.

My next project is to mount the remote tranny filter somewhere under the hood and interupt the hoses to the B&amp;M cooler to plumb it in. Bought the Fram remote filter housing yesterday and I'm going to screw on a PH8A tomorrow and place it around under the hood til' I find a spot that looks good.

Sixlitre

p.s./
I can now verify that 2mpg improvement since the enlarged Y-pipe, collector and high flow 3" cat. It's returned three tankfuls with the same, better, results. Power is definately up, particularly in the low end grunt department, right off the light all the way up to wide open shift points. Money well spent, thanks again guys for all the tips, photos and encouragement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 04:19 PM
birddog1

WD - thanks for posting....I know I asked about all this in a seperate post and you did respond and I'm just shooting a late thanks back to you. Question for you regarding backpressure...at what point do you start to have an effect on torque when you increase the exhaust flow? I like to think increasing flow might improve HP stats, but inversely affect low end grunt....what inexpensive ways can you improve inflow to counter the effects of increased exhaust rates? If you stay with stock diameter exhaust, how exactly do the performance mufflers such as Gibson or Flowmaster affect power/mileage? I cant quite manage to get a valid response from salesfolks who sell these units as they seem more geared towards the sound the units produce versus meaningful numerical data (I'm a beancounter [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] ) Thanks in advance.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

<font color="blue">birddog1</font color>:
Did most of your questions get answered in <font color="blue">sixlitre</font color>'s response?

what inexpensive ways can you improve inflow to counter the effects of increased exhaust rates?
That one didn't get addressed though.
"Inexpensive" is kinda a relative term. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
For a bit under $300, you could get a K&amp;N filter, and "shortie" emissions legal headers.
Those 2 mods would be the most "bang for the buck" to compliment any increase in exhaust flow,
while not giving up much (if any at all) low-end torque.
Gas mileage will improve as well.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:20 PM

WD answered this one, but I have to kick in just a bit here...I think the answer is simple...if you have a stock motor (headers and K &amp; N filter and what not is still stock in my book), then unless the factory gifted you with a proper sized exhaust, good muffler, and cat, any exhaust mod that is well thought out, using quality components, and sized just slightly bigger, will almost suredly yield HP gains and MPG (though how noticeable will always be a huge debate) without sacrificing the low end torque to any noticeable amount.

The factory never gifts you with anything unless you pay for it. A good exhaust from the factory can usually only be found in an expensive sports car...so....improvements can be made. the problem is most people (including many exhaust shops) don't understand the dynamics, or in the case of the shops, just don't care to ask the right questions of what the desired effect is...they just want your money.

WD... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I do see the pogo sticks...but....what is more distracting is the huge stock style "barrel" of a muffler. There are a number of excellent aftermarket mufflers out there that are low on noise and also take up way less space (low profile oval type).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 PM
birddog1

Still reeling from Six's concise and eloquent response [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At the moment, I'm hoping to squeeze by with just a new muffler, but considering new pipes from the cat back. Squeezing more power out or increasing mileage would be nice, but not sure spending half a grand is worth it, especially when I still have to contend with strict emissions here in the Dallas region. Thanks again for getting the pics up and throwing out some good advice.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 08:51 PM

Ok, heres a small (semi-related) question:

shorty's vs. full length headers.
What is the major difference? i realize one is shorter than the other (duh [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), but im curious as to the pros/cons of each.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Shorties won't kill low-end torque as much, as they don't have as long of primaries.
Most are also emissions legal, since they bolt up to the stock y-pipe,
and will have stock emissions fittings if they are to be C.A.R.B. certified.

Full length will give a much better boost in top-end power, since they can run straighter.
However, most will also exit relatively low in the chassis, and can drag over rocks if you're not careful.
Hence, another advatage to shorties. Better ground clearance.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:47 PM

Ok, so then an option of using shorty's with the stock ypipe, and then hiflow cats and flowmaster might still return decent results? (just trying to get some ideas before i redo my exhaust in the spring)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode