a/c compressor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Bluebeast

a/c compressor

i have an a/c/ compressor that i am about to remove. it just seized up and i am wondering if there is and way to ressurect it and turn it in to an on board air system? or if there is no point and i should return it for the whopping $10 core refund? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Veteran

Re: a/c compressor

Depends on what your pulling it off of, is it your 90 bronco, then turn it in cuz an FS-6 or nippondenso 6 piston compressor used in later fords wont work. If your pulling it off an earlier ford with a Tecumseh (aluminum) or a preferably a "York" (cast iron) twin piston type, then they will work...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

If it's seized, it probably doesn't matter what it is - it's trash. But you might be able to talk a parts store into swapping for a better core if it's a Tec or York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Bluebeast

it is the one off of my 90 bronco. i just removed it about 30 min ago and i cant tell you what kind of compressor it is because of the mud and crude on it. well ill go clean it off so if anyone knows how to tell what kind it is ill be able to tell. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Veteran

If you have a 90, its either an FS-6 or FS-10 most likely.
It will be cast aluminum rounded shape going straight back from the pulley/clutch with aluminum blocks on top where the lines attach.

The tecs and yorks have a square crankcase with an oil sump (ford quit using them in the early 80s), thats why they can be used as an OBA cuz they store their own oil and the FS series relies on compressor oil circulated thru the refrigerant system for lubrication....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Bluebeast

well then i am gonna return the core. but what about the ac pump on my 81 bronco, it has a 351M and the pump is wide when viewed from the front of the truck?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 11:07 AM

this is a pic of a york a/c compressor:
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Bluebeast

yep thats what it looks like but my clutch is a tiny bit different. instead of 6 pointed star like thing coming off the center bolt i have a 3 pointed thing. otherwise all the casing looks identacal.
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 08:01 PM

there were various different clutches used on them, depending on the year/model vehicle it came out of.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Bluebeast

well it works io tested the pump by turning it and applying electric to see if the clutch works and it is great. i saw that the only people who make mounting plates is saberforce but i can open their website. if i had the plans for the braket i easily have the capabilities to produce one but i can get any specs or even the visual look at it. does ne one have accurate specs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode