TTB Alignment Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TTB Alignment Question

Okay, I know TTB and Alignment do not go together, but here goes. I installed Explorer Pro Comp 2.5" lift springs in front and, of course, \ / was the fringe benefit of my efforts. My question is...drum roll please...can my positive camber be corrected (typically) with alignment bushings, or do I have to install Axle Pivot drop brackets to correct this. The vehicle in question is a 96 Bronco XLT. One follow up question, do any of you know a decent 4WD alignment shop in the New England Seacoast area (spending part time in Portsmouth, NH and home in Groton, Ct)

On a side note, although this is my first post, I have been picking your collective brains for quite some time. I would like to say that I am very grateful for each of you who has taken the time to post your experiences and share your knowledge. Your posts have helped tremendously in my efforts with upgrading my truck. Thanks!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:16 PM

Re: TTB Alignment Question

Welcome to the board Tom. I think that getting the drop brackets would definately help you some but maybe not entireley. Alot of guys on this board have done the short/ leveling lifts and have managed to get some good results. I don't think you can go wrong with the drop brackets though even if it doesn't entirely fix the alignment issue. Here's a post that I did a little while back that might have some additional information that might be helpfull: Lift/Alignment issues
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:17 PM
BoulderBronco7

You should be able to correct the camber with just the bushings. You will have to buy some but they are not that expensive. Can't help you with a place to take it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 09:34 AM

The Axle Pivot drops AND alignment bushings are mandatory for your setup. Alignment bushings alone will not correct your situation without the brackets.

I have 2.5" lift coils, drop brackets, and bushings on my '96 and it will align (camber), though I can't get as much positive caster as I want until I build my radius arms.

Good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:15 AM

I think I'm more in agreement with BurntP here. I think the alignment bushings will only manage to about 1.5" of lift, beyond that you really need the drop brackets, including the drops for the radius arms most likely.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:51 PM

I went from 2 to 4 to 6 inches of coil lift in the front. I was able to align with two inch springs and a caster/camber bushing from NAPA auto parts. Yes caster and camber. When I went too 4 inch coils I needed the drop down brackets. The Caster/camber bushings where about $50 a piece but allowed for several adjustment positions as I have gone higher and as the coils settled.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 PM

I didn't know anyone made 2" springs for the Bronco.

The "leveling coils" are 1.5" max lift-from-stock and are made to work without axle drop brackets. As far as I know, the next size over-the-counter coil is a 2.5" lift-from-stock and they are designed to use with drop brackets.

You can probably get satisfactory alignment with 2" lift springs and the bushings, but mine looks like the axles would be at a pretty nasty angle without the drop brackets.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 04:45 PM

Yes, <font color="blue"> Blown </font color> - do tell where you found some 2" coils ... I'd love to get my truck sitting level, but am leary about the 1" coils, as I figure they'll settle out over time &amp; I'm not entirely sure they're enough to begin with. All this talk about drop brackets for the TTB pivots with a mere 2" coil has me a little depressed. Seems like adding a drop bracket (in most cases) would be like adding a weak link to the chain ...

I sure don't wanna lose any ground clearance, but am just about decided that losing the stock 2" rear blocks is how I'll end up levelling things out!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:05 AM

OK, I bought my first set of coils about 8 years ago through JC Whitney. They still sell them and claim 1 1/2 - 2 inches of lift. Go to http://JCWhitney.com click on ford, then bronco, then springs, $165. Read carefully they are stiffer than stock.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 AM

[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode