engine running hotter than normal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine running hotter than normal

i have a 94 bronco with the 5.8. my temp guage has been on the "m" in normal for the past few weeks. before that it was staying on the "o" or "r" depending on if the a/c was running or not. i have replaced the theromstat and coolant in hopes of solving the problem. i spoke with a friend who is advised that as long as it is in the normal range to leave it alone. the only reason i am conserned is becasue i purchased it from the state at an auction and i do not knwo the service history. any suggestions to slove the problem or do i leave it till warmer weather and see what happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:40 PM

Re: engine running hotter than normal

are you running the heat. what is the temp out side
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the temp here is in the upper 40 to mid 50. today it got to about 55 and the guage stayed the same. when i run the heat it makes little to no difference at least i cant see the guage drop with the heat on full blast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Shilo

Stop trying to believe the stock gauge means anything. Install a mechanical (or electric) gauge of your choosing. Then you'll be able to post back here with useful info, like "My Bronco was previously running at around 190-195 water temp when outside temps were around 55. Now, at the same outside temps under similar driving conditions, my water temp sits around 215. At idle it sometimes nears 225."

Doesn't this sound better than "M" and "R?" It does to me.

My guess is that you'll find nothing is wrong w/your cooling system, but you need some meaningful values to reference first.

Autozone sells some cheap mechanical Sunpro gauges for about $15. They're a bit bling-bling but are white-faced and nice for what they are IMO. I've had one in my van (beater) for about two months now, and I believe it is relatively accurate. I can tell you my van idles at 190 all day long and runs at 190-195 on the hiway. I can see the needle fall rapidly when the t-stat opens, and I can see the temp spike when you shut it off (normal for all motors). Very useful and informative. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info. i will provide more accurate and detailed information in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode