Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Boycot 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/151198-boycot-4-wheel-parts-warehouse.html)

BigNorm 01-20-2003 06:30 AM

Boycot 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse

I've heard people say again and again that they recieved bad or no service from 4WPW. A friend of mine ordered a manual hub conversion kit from them before Christmas and waited for his parts. When they did not arrive on time he sent them an email expressing his concern since they charged his credit card the minute of the sale. He recieved an answer from [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] 4WPW... two days later. The response told my bud that the parts were on backorder and he should expect them in a few more weeks. Three weeks have gone by since then and he has still to see his parts. My bud is not pissed that the parts are on backorder but that they charged his card without having the parts in stock and the fact that they sold him the parts giving him the impression that he would get them in a matter of days. I will not be giving these people any business regardless of how cool there adds are.

On another note. Does anyone know of a good 4wheel drive parts supplier which you have received good customer service? I don't know of any in the 4wd service specifically but I can say that I have always had good service when ordering from Summit Racing Equipment. My local Napa store hasn't let me down yet either. I like Napa because for the most part they hire pretty knowledgeable people that have an idea of what they are selling as apposed to some of the smaller Auto parts retailers (AKA: da zone! Right Steve [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ). Well I guess I've spoke my peace. NORM

BurnedBronco 01-20-2003 07:12 AM

Re: Boycot 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse

ya, 4 wheel parts sucks. i had the whole issue with them sending me the wrong wheels, then them not giving me my money back becuase they are not liable for mistakes. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
then after threatening they offered to take thos eback, and sent the wrong ones again, but would not take those back. all kinds of crap from them.

my new drivetrain supplier is national drivetrain out of chicago. they ship stuff anywhere, and have great customer service. They are kind of high on some parts, but i would pay a few bucks more to acually get the part and good service than buy from some more idiots.
I am in a group discout from them currently, but they are great! i pordered a minispool from work one day and i needed it the next day and was wondering if they could could drop it in the mail that night so i would recieve it the next day( they are in chicago, i'm on the south side) The guy named Kevin offered to drop it off in my town on his way home from work when i got off. Could that be any better?

www.nationaldrivetrain.com
the website is kind of confusing though
based out of IL and GA.
1800 507 4327 is the number

vitaminc 01-20-2003 08:31 AM

I'm always up for a good boycott.

I've had good experiences with Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. They have been increasing their stock of late model parts and have a lot of hard to find or discontinued stuff. I recently got the hardware for my hardtop from them for about a quarter the price that Ford wanted.

They're a good bunch of guys too...I haven't dealt with their shipping though b/c they're local to me. One note of caution, their newer catalogue on the web has some errors on it that they are still working out...but they're available by phone to sort things out or mail a hard copy.

80BRONCO 01-20-2003 09:52 AM

Ive bought from 4 wpw and I had a great experience I was getting ready to order some more stuff from them but I have heard to many bad thing fot it to be a rare occasion Jeffs here I come

lookinfurfun 01-20-2003 10:11 AM

For those guys it's just about making the sale. They could care less if you get your products or if you are happy with them. I ordered a bunch of stuff last year and went through a similar problem that your buddy is going through. It took about two months to finally get everything that I ordered when I was told it was going to take just a few days. Never again [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

86convert4wd 01-20-2003 10:27 AM

I've heard the same thing about those guys since the day I've been regged on this board. The only thing I've ever gotten from them was a Hi-Lift and it was from a friend. He had to wait a while for it to get to his house and we almost didn't swap gift before X-Mas cuz of it.

Shilo 01-20-2003 10:37 AM

"For those guys it's just about making the sale"

You're exactly right, they must work on commission and they're slimier (sp?) than a bunch of used car salesmen. Heres' my condensed horror story:

I ordered a complete 6" lift, to the tune of about $1100. Then my E4OD died. I got the news of the dead tranny the very next day, and couldn't afford both. I called 4WPW back to cancel, they said, oh, we can't cancel, it's already been shipped. Oh, and BTW there's a 15% restocking fee if you send the packages back.

They just didn't want me cancelling this order, and were gonna discourage me in any way possible.

2 weeks later folks, the lift showed up. Gee, ya think it had actually shipped when I called to cancel? NO.

I never did get my restocking fee back, but a manager finally told me (after not returning my messages several times) that they would give me 15% off my next order.

They had tried to suck me in for a second order, and it kinda worked. About a year later I ordered a more basic lift kit from them to use my discount. When I placed the order I voiced my concerns over the 6" lift having 4" blocks, and how some people have reported the 4" blocks are not enough. The guy told me no problem, if it sits ass-down just call us and we'll exchange the blocks free of charge.

Anything to make the sale.

Well, after several weeks my front had not settled like they say, and I decided I'd rather have my Bronco a bit ass-high than low. So I called to exchange my blocks and they denied any knowledge of ever saying that, or that any of their salesmen would ever offer that. But they'd be happy to sell me a new block kit.

Stories like this are all too common, and Burned is 100% right: I'd rather pay a bit more to KNOW I'm gonna get what I want, when I want it, and customer service after the sale. With 4WPW you're taking a gamble, and if you lose you'll be lucky to ever get your right part at the original price.

Also note that Pro-Crap and Genuine Gear ARE 4WPW, and their quality shows it. Avoid these brands IMO

Finally, those who report good service have gone to LOCAL 4WPW stores, those guys can't hide behind the fone all day. The mail order division is the worst, but its' ALL a terrible company IMO.

Consider giving your business to Tyres Intl, or Natl Tire or Rockstomper or Rusty's or West Coast Diff or whatever......

**DONOTDELETE** 01-20-2003 05:24 PM

It's all in who you deal with over there. I have never had a problem with alan at 1-800-421-1050 x5110. He has always been straight forword with me and told me if something was on back order or not. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Biggie_Truck 01-20-2003 05:37 PM

4Wheel Parts is the worst. I bought 5 36" superswamper radial from them. After 4 weeks I thought I should call and ask where they were. I was told that one shipped and the others would be another week. Then I got my credit card bill and found they billed me the day I ordered. After 3 more weeks and 2 killer snow storms (would have been nice to have them) I called again to find they still hadnt shipped. I cancelled them and got a rash of s%*#@ from them like it was my fault. Unbelivable.
[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Icing on the cake: when I got my other 4 tires from Natl. Tire & Wheel and mounted them all up I noticed a nasty shimmy from the back wheel. As is turned out that one tire had some buckled radials in two spots-guess where it came from?

Summit and Jegs are great. Accept returns no questions asked. Also National Tire and Wheel is good. When I got my last shipment they had sent me open caps and I needed all closed. It was my fault for not specing but I called and they sent me a set of closed without asking for the others returned. Thats more like it.

kdog 01-20-2003 06:55 PM

My experience is mixed. I bought the genuine gears and installed them wrong and true to their word they replaced them for free.
On the other hand when I went to take advantage of the buy three get one free tire deal I was informed that the price goes up on the tire to compensate for the sale. So my question is how on earth is that a sale if your paying the same price in the end? BTW this was all in the store not over the phone.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-20-2003 10:25 PM

I have ordered from them and got the products right away! Took only 4 days from the day I ordered! I got my 3 off road lights, wiring kit, Warn hubs, & tailgate net without one single problem. It's all in who you deal with! Most of you guys are [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] about how your tires and wheels were wrong or it took too long, *ANYTIME* when buying tires and wheels it is stupid to order it online for the fact that it may not fit! For the 15% restocking fee (on the lift) that is kind of BS [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] but at the same time, you shouldn't have ordered it if your truck was getting ready to spew!

froggy 01-20-2003 11:02 PM

No what they are saying is in general they have had horrible service. Burned got not one but 2 inccorect sets of wheels. Even though he ordered what was correct for himself. They sent the wrong stuff. Then theres countless posts about how they were billed or told to expect parts. Just to wait monthes for them. Thats the most horrible service ive ever heard of. Ive never ordered anything from them and never will. Just because of the horror stories you hear on here.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-20-2003 11:14 PM

Well; they get quite a bit of business. It's all in who you deal with, I admit I have called about getting gears installed and was told it would cost $450 but when I got their (a hour and a 1/4 drive later) they said it would be $600 because the guy did not add the install kit and the fee, it was not the stores fault it was the dumbars who was on the phone that day! I ended up going to a different place to get my gears because of the drive it would take to go back their, and not having enough cash on hand. Yes I agree that they do have stupid sales rep's. Not buying because what a few people say (some guys in here have had good.): boycotting will do nothing. Look at the Ford/Bridgestone ordeal people were afraid to buy them due to the publicity of them, but it wasn't all of them just the tires made in that certain area, *like said before "it's all in who you deal with." It would be better if you guys posted the names of the guys who you ordered with, then it would cause them to find a new job! And this mess would be solved.

Shilo 01-21-2003 07:16 AM

"For the 15% restocking fee (on the lift) that is kind of BS but at the same time, you shouldn't have ordered it if your truck was getting ready to spew!"

Interesting. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'll write that down so I can remember it next time.

I guess I just don't want to deal with a company where "it's all who you deal with." I'd prefer to deal w/Summit or Nat'l Tire where I believe any one of their employees can help me and provide the same quality level of customer service. If I'm dealing with a company where I feel like I have to write down the name of who I spoke to (and IME I would record all conversations with the 4WPW sales guys), that makes me uneasy.

I'm just crazy like that.

86convert4wd 01-21-2003 07:57 AM

Theres nothing crazy about protecting your a$$ and your hard earned money. ANY reputable has all their conversations recorded for exactly that reason. The thing i like about NTW even though i never delt with them is the fact that it says right on their website that they dont let you order online cuz there are too many variables when dealing with modified vehicles. You have to call and talk to a rep to see EXACTLY what you have and see what will work before you plunk down any hard earned $$. I'd rather pay a few $$ extra to get the right parts/service the first time, especially if the vehicle is your daily driver as well as your weekend toy.

I wont ever deal with Summit again cuz one time i spent $5000 on parts from them to build a 72 Nova. After i got the order(everything was right, on time, and in good shape) i never heard from them again. I called when i needed a new catalog cuz they didn't throw one in the box and when u plan a project catalogs tend to get written on/ripped/mangled/incomplete(we've all done it) they said they'd send one right away. All my friends got theirs and i got nothing so i called and they said they had no record of my name in the catalog file but they did have a record of my order. I told them to look it up and when they saw the price of it they swore they'd overnight me one.

Now i buy from Jegs

BigNorm 01-21-2003 08:55 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
it was the dumbars who was on the phone that day!

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 01-21-2003 07:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'd rather pay a few $$ extra to get the right parts/service the first time, especially if the vehicle is your daily driver as well as your weekend toy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather pay a little more and get a warrenty, and the right stuff! hint: (Les Schwab's)

piaa_nissan 01-21-2003 08:22 PM

I tried to get a price match via email once and never heard a peep from them. The guys in the local store always seem to talk alot of smack about lower prices until I give them one to beat. I buy from smaller stores now, you may pay a bit more but they stick by you when you have issues.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-21-2003 08:42 PM

Well of course you didn't get a ryply. You have to do a price match face to face (or phone to phone) they will be more afraid to say no when speaking with them!

Shovel 01-22-2003 01:15 AM

Yeah I second Les Schwab's. I've never dealt with a more bad ass company in my life.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-22-2003 11:02 PM

It's even better when they tell you "Those tires won't fit so we are going to give upgrade them to the next best tire for nothing more."

Shovel 01-23-2003 01:41 AM

Or when you ask them if wheeling will void the road hazard warrantee and they tell you, "If you happen to slash a tire on a root or something else off road, just bring it in and say you hit a box or something on the road and we'll replace it for free."

My buddy tested that one out. Popped his tire on a small tree stump and took it to Les Schwab and they replaced it for free. I don't think he even had papers, but it was Wild Country tire. I don't think they've ever asked for papers when I go in to get an alignment and tires rotated.

To say the least, they always get my business no matter the price difference.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2003 01:51 AM

friend of mine bought a set of 4 42" super swampers from them last year, when he received them, 3 weeks after the order, 1 of the lugs on 1 tire was hallow with a hole the size of a dime in it, they refused to do anything about it and him being not the brightest bulb on the tree bought a tube of silicone and filled it in, problem solved [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], maybe, maybe not but he got through the first year with it [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2003 08:02 PM

No questions asked warrenty's are the best!

rikeegee 01-24-2003 10:47 AM

I'm always up for sending a message to crappy vendors. I never buy anything big from FWPW because of the awful service my friends got when they had work done on their trucks. I may buy small items on sale here or there like lights, tow straps, etc. Items inexpensive enough so I wont stress about it.

I remember one time when I was buying my headers and cat back system. I called the Burbank, CA location and asked about what are all the 50 state smog legal brands. I proceeded to mention if they carry Gibson because it has a 50 state smog legal indication in the brochure. The tech guy told me all these 50 state legal headers won't work in CA. I asked him why that is and if its has 50 states then it should be OK. He started to raise his tone and said "BUT SIR, THERE ARE MORE THAN 50 STATES IN AMERICA!!!". After that statement, what can I say???

As far as 4X4 stores, depends on what you are looking for. I usually just try to find something local for big purchases, I may pay a little premium but its easier for me to go back to them if something goes wrong. I have a 4X4 guy that I trust who has been the only one working on my truck since I bought it. When possible I make him order the parts to add a little to his profit.

lookinfurfun 01-24-2003 03:43 PM

Yeah, the 51st state would be the state of confusion that that guy was in [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]