Resizing Bronco Top - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Resizing Bronco Top

Just wondering guys if the top on a bronco can be cut and made smaller and then pieced together? The reason for this is i would liek to chop the top on the baby bronco and want a hard top for it, i figured you guys would know best as to if this can be done sence it is a bronco top i want to use to make it. I would greatly appreciate any info or other suggestions. I know I dont want a soft top as in 3 ft of snow in one storm and it may not hold as well as i would like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 08:59 PM

Re: Resizing Bronco Top

Seems possible, but difficult. Id imagine you could cut the center out, and then weld it up to make it narrower, and then cut it in half width-wise (remove a piece in the middle), and reweld it so itd be shorter. This would mean that youd need to get all 3 windows custom made, though.
Possible, but is it worth the effort?
I would think it would be easier to drop a ranger body onto the frame, and then just shorten the bed a little bit so it would fit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

i figured i could cut off the front part of it, cause the chop would leave the front straight up instea of slanted, then i could jsut cut off the windows shorter and put in a gasket or something across the front part, of course i would still ahve to maek ti less wide. Was thinking of the ranger idea, but i would have to make some body mounts, and might as well jsut cut down a top. And for the rear window i was thinking of cutting down the lift gate and attaching it where the window would be on the fullsize top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:07 PM

let me get this right we are talking about a bronco II right why dont you just cut the whole thing down and have the new glass made by cutting the glass down at the bottom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

you jsut got me confused there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:47 PM

when you chop the top you take the part you are removing out of the middle right well remove the windows cut the top off where the windows get straight and cut all the way down reweld and reinstall the windows inst that hwo it works when you chop the tops on a vehicle
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

on the b2 you take out teh side windows, then you chop the liftgate post off and the top from one window corner to the other. Plus the chop cuts out over 300 lbs of metal and window, id have to brace it heavily to reinstal it as a hardtop, and then it jsut becomes more top heavy, plus id have to build a frame around the window in the top and intigrate it into the body to make ti fit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 05:38 PM

Look for a pre-made shell (Supershell, SnugTop, etc...) for a Ranger or Nissan, then maybe you can plan the cuts on your BII to fit the dimensions of new shell.

I think the shell companies will actually custom build the shell to the length you need, as long as it can utilize an existing mold.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

ranger shell is 4 inches too short, the b2 is taller then a ranger cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode