Starter won't disengage flywheel... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Starter won\'t disengage flywheel...

Would it be a bad thing to drive the truck home about 2 miles with the starter engaged? (ya I know stupid question but what the hell!). I have AAA but it's soooo fuk'in cold in Duquesne right know... definitely too cold to stand and wait. i thought maybe a short distance I might get away with it. I pounded the hell out of the starter and couldn't get it to disengage so unhooked the battery. Tomorrow is another day and it actually might reach 25* tomorrow. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Yes, I'll have one for the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 05:48 PM
froggy

Re: Starter won\'t disengage flywheel...

Is it constantly kicking over? If so just give your starter solinoid a wrap with a screw driver. Or maybe take some graphite compund and shoot it down into you key ignition there. It sometimes sticks also. Or is it something else?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

The starter won't stop spinning until I unhook the battery.

I did try to pound it. Didn't work. New starter time. Just wanted to know if it's safe to drive it 2 miles? 6 minutes? or will it toast the fly wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Pooh-Bah

Just wanted to know if it's safe to drive it 2 miles? 6 minutes? or will it toast the fly wheel?
No.
No.
Yes. The gear on the starter is not designed to turn at the rev's the engine will be doing on your way home.
Chances are, it will self destruct and not only cause damage to the flywheel,
but also could send a few parts into the bell-housing and punch a hole in the torque convertor. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You did tap on the <font color="red">solenoid by the battery</font color> (<font color="blue">Froggy</font color>'s suggestion)....didn't you, if tapping on the starter itself didn't work?

Here's a "far fetched" work-around.
Get it started and immediately/quickly disconnect the lead to the starter from the starter solenoid. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Note: I don't really recommend that however.
AAA would be my choice in that case if it's too cold to work on right now. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
After all, that's what ya pay the premium for. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 06:16 PM
froggy

yeah thats what I asked. Thats most likely the problem. Cheap ass fender mounted starter solenoid's. They always get stuck. Give it a tap before you get it towed.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Hey ya'll i tried tapping on the selinoid and it didn't work, so I replaced it with a new selinoid and that did it-thanks for the suggestion. saved me 60 bucks!WHOOO HOOO! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:57 PM
froggy

cool [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 09:24 AM

It's amazing your starter is still working. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Consider yourself lucky. I have an extra starter relay on the firewall ready to go in case of the same thing happens to me or if the first one just flat out stops working. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Re: O/T

The starter only ran about 30seconds at a time just enough time to get my wrenchs. She fires up every time first try. Even when it's 0* like this morning. Well i got to put a pwr steering pump in the wifes Taurus, that thing cost $65 it ain't no bigger than my fist. Did find out that the pulley is all cracked and chipped, it's that carbon plastic kind (JUNK)![img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. Nice superford site Norm! That is a pretty cool site I have mine done too.. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 02:45 AM

I have a starter problem also, except the starter tends not to engage at startup. I'll turn it over and I can hear my starter spinning and not engaging. I'll stop, give it a second, try again, and it will start up fine. Is there any kind or adjustment that I could make, or is my starter about to crap out on me??? BTW when I first dropped in my 347, the first start blew my starter solenoid. Would this be related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode