D60 5-5 1/2 conversion - Not Dynatrac $2,100 kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Biggie_Truck

D60 5-5 1/2 conversion - Not Dynatrac $2,100 kit

Hold everything! After searching high and low for an answere to my 39.5 Claws and 5 bolt classic iis I found this web page Its ugly but it works. Also check out their 15" wheel disc brake kit. Not bad. Dynatrac told me their kit was $2,100 and I should just buy a complete axle from them for $4,450 instead [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I felt violated. Looks like D60 up front after all. I might just drill the hubs myself at least I know it can be done. Dont be lookin on Ebay for my Mickeys.

Might have to settle for 10.25 sf w/ redrilled ends for now in rear with powertrax. Not the greatest but a hell of alot beefier than the 8.8 tooth pick.

Almost there now. Planning to convert when it warms up so I want to get started rebuilding now. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: D60 5-5 1/2 conversion - Not Dynatrac $2,100 kit

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy 8lug Classic 2's? this solution doesnt make much sense to me, but I'm glad you found a way to get what you want done.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 10:08 PM
u2slow

Go 8-lug and be done with it [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Molesting bolt-patterns is a waste of time and money...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 05:07 AM
Biggie_Truck

New Classic IIs: $135ea x 4 = $540
Dismount, Mount and Bal.: $100
Sell old classics: (?$200?) paid $400 loss= $200

Total Cost: $840

Option: Redrill hubs in my shop: $000
Time: One Saturday (half day)

$840 for locker, works for me. You just want my Mickeys. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 09:56 AM

A better question would be is does anyone make an adapter or 8 lugs for the 9"?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: D60 5-5 1/2 conversion - Not Dynatrac $2,100 k

So your shop has a mill, a lathe, and a welder?

You have to weld up the lug holes in the D60 rotor, then turn it down flat, then turn down the wheel hub, then redrill the mounting flange to 5 on 5.5 and then mount a rotor.

What about calipers and bracket adjustments? I'm assuming you'll run 1/2T rotors, so you'll need to shorten the caliper mounting bracket to put the caliper down on the shorter 1/2T rotors.. plus you'll want to move the caliper down anyhow for rim clearance..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Shilo

"What about calipers and bracket adjustments? I'm assuming you'll run 1/2T rotors, so you'll need to shorten the caliper mounting bracket to put the caliper down on the shorter 1/2T rotors.. plus you'll want to move the caliper down anyhow for rim clearance.. "

Good points, dude. So obvious and I didn't even think of it when I first read this thread.

You're right - the reason 15"s don't fit is because of caliper clearance. Even if you could get a 5 lug pattern, the wheel still wont' fit without custom caliper brackets, smaller rotor, etc. Also you'll have to cut the knuckle for your custom caliper bracket, so there's no going back. Seems a shame to trash good D60 components like that.

Otherwise you'd have to still use a 15" 5 lug wheel with 2.5" backspacing, which you could have done with 8 lugs in the first place.

And if you make anything custom you might as well make two of each since you won't be buying replacements on the road.

In the end still seems like shooting yourself in the foot to keep 5 lugs and a set of shiny wheels. I'd go 8 lug and be done with it but its' your time. And if you're (Biggie Truck) motivated enough to do it I'd love to see pics along the way.

I'm runing 37" MTR's on 15x7 steelies with 2.5" backspacing. It's NOT wide, but that's because of the 7" rim, which wouldn't work with anything greater than a 12.50 section width. These wheels were $48 apiece, and allowed me to keep 15" wheels, no problems.

And if you (Biggie Truck)have the ability to do planetaries I still want a 4:1 for the 1356!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Biggie_Truck

Our shop has a welder, milling, and lathe as well as 5 mill worth of cnc machining centers, gear cutting, and heat treating equipment. Check out our web site Penngear Ive been welding for 3 years now (the best thing I every started doing). Brackets are no problem - cutting down, welding back up. Fill welding the holes, facing of on lathe and redrill is not news to me. Wagoner has a disc brake kit for $550. See link on first post in this thread and go to catolag. Can I just turn down the o.d. and relocate the calipers? How much room is left on the disc between the caliper and the hub?

The only opportunity now is to get two of everything for trail repairs. Does anyone make blank axles that can be drilled custom - Warn?. I can always make a few sets.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Shilo

Good luck and take lots of pics along the way. You should do a comprehensive tech page.

As for your other questions, I don't know, I don't know, and I don't know. You're moving out of my area of knowledge at this point, I learn how to mix 'n match stock components to get what I want - don't have the capabilites or $$$ to machine custom stuff (but welding is cool!). My idea of fabrication is cutting some plate steel w/my angle grinder and then booger-welding back together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode