New Flowmaster Y and high flow 3" cat on ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

New Flowmaster Y and high flow 3\" cat on !

Happy winter camper is I !

my buddy's shop was slow this month while most fools are paying off their visa bills. This fool headed down there today with my 2 into 1 flowmaster Y-pipe and the Catco high flow 3" catalytic converter. I also had 3 of the 3" header flanges already welded onto the cat at both ends and the 3" down to 2 1/4" reducer cone I fabbed up.

We spent most of the day bending up the pipes off the manifolds into the flowmaster and the welding up the header style flange onto it's end to match the 3 way cat and then bolted and clamped it all together. I'd spent the last summer re-installing all the air pump tubing, hoses and check valving. All I had to do today was hook up the Ford 3/4" air pump line to the universal cat's 1/2" air line and install the rebuilt ($62.00 CDN) air pump. I am now in "visual" compliance so I can take my emission test nest week.

We took it out for a spin and it really goes a lot quicker than before, with the 17 year old original Y-pipe and remaining cat. Major seat of the pants difference in acceleration and the tail pipe seems to be pumping out far more volume than before, be it at idle or wide open throttle. Even with a stock style 2 1/4" muffler and tailpipe it seems to rumble a little more deeply(and certinally more smoothly) at idle and is noticably more throaty at wide open throttle.

Nailed it from rest at a usual take off area and it broke the tires loose going into 2nd (first time ever !) {and none of your icy Canadian roads jokes ! it was bone dry !}.

Dying to run a tank through and test the mileage, it's gotta be up !!!!!!!!!

Ready and now willing to meet the emissions test next week !

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 09:40 PM

Re: New Flowmaster Y and high flow 3\" cat on !

cool. Have you taken any pictures of it yet? Always looking for a new way of doing something. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Pooh-Bah

Right on, <font color="blue">Sixlitre</font color>!
All that research paid off, didn't it? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Get those pics up soon!
I'd sure like to see how you did the header flange for the disconnect. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

WD-40 and all, thanks again for the photos, advice and inspiration

I've already got digital photo's, just don't know how to post em'. The header flanges were a snap. Welded them onto both sides of the 3" cat and to the 3" to 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" reducer cone I made up. The only flange i didn't weld up before hand was the one that went on the end of the flowmaster 2 into 1 Y pipe. That we welded on, once the two head pipes were bent up and located inside the Flowmaster Y pipe.

Norm, I patterned it more ot less from WD-40s set up, though it does vary a little, with the header flanges for quick removal of part or all of the system from the 2 into 1 collector and further back. We used ridiculously heavy guage tubing, dang near 1/8" ! Had some ticking today, so we snugged up the brass nuts holding on the manifold flanges, if it happens again I'll have to go back to steel nuts on those manifold studs.

Really nice entry angle on the passenger's side into the Flowmaster Y pipe, minor kink passing under the oil pan from the driver's side though not bad, and considering the pipe is now fully 2 1/4" instead of under 2", that's an improvement right there. Major improvement (like WD-40's) by getting rid of that huge vertical "S" bend that went up, from the first stock cat, and over the crossmember to the second stock cat further back. This improves not only flow, but ground clearance on the exhaust. By using only one new style 3 way cat we were able to make a straight run off the manifolds and over the crossmember towards the new cat(again, just like WD-40's system). This was a problem on all 5 litre equipped 4X4 Ford trucks, as well as Broncos, I'm told.

Sixlitre

p.s/
It's been mighty cool here for the last week, but even considering that, mileage appears to be up a solid 2 mpg over the last tankful. This is great considering I've been "on it" a lot testing out the set up whenever possible. I'll get back to normal driving and keep you all posted on the mileage improvement. Tomorrow the high is only going to be -17 Celcius here so i ain't expecting miracles. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

p.p.s./
You were asking about header flange locations ? My buddy is an artist, he was able to locate the high flow cat so both header flanges are either side of the crossmember and totally accessible from underneath !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 11:04 AM

Pix are real easy man. Go to your photo. Right click it. select copy. create a post on this board. check the "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file" box under the Graemlins. right click the area in which to put your picture information. Paste the info. To post the actual image in the post you have to go to your post and get the url info from the attachment you just made, edit the post and put the new info between image and /image. I hope this makes sense. I really want to see your exhaust. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 11:37 AM
birddog1

I want those 2 mpg....Malcolm, as I recall, you are getting 17mpg already? I'm not on the forum much, so apparently I missed the "research" WD mentioned. Going to need a new muffler soon myself so I'd really like more specs on this with pics, too. If I gotta do something with the exhaust, might as well do it smart and try to get some power and/or mileage improvements.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Pooh-Bah

<font color="blue">birddog1</font color>
Here's the exhaust post that <font color="blue">sixlitre</font color> is referring to.
Note:
There were also a few Private Messages going back and forth. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 09:45 AM

Thanx for the link. If I ever have to redo the exhaust system I think that is the ticket.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey Birddog

check out the photos WD-40 posted for me. In answer to your question, I get the great mileage numbers in the summer, more than now when it's downright brrrrrrrr. That said, I still pulled at least 2mpg from this system, in winter no less.

The system sounds much better in spite of the fact I'm using the exact same stock style cheapo jobber muffler and tailpipe behind the new Y-pipe, collector and 3" high flow cat. Not loud by any means, but deeper, less restricted if there's such a sound.

I necked down from the 3" cat (see photos) to 2 1/4" so I couls re-use the 1 1/2 year old 2 1/4" stock style muffler and tailpipe. I was worried about not enough back pressure with a higher flow 2 1/2" or 3" muffler and tailpipe. My theory was improve the flow capacity up stream and control the back pressure by using the stock sized muffler and tail pipe.

I was also worried about the price of some of those catback systems, they're outrageous ! The muffler and tailpipe from Canadian Tire is $26 Canadian and 16 bux respectively, both of which translate into @ $28 American total. Not hard to part with when our Ontario salt does them in inside two years.

The cost of buying the cat, collector, header flanges, all hardware and pipe bending and instalation, was less than half of what CTC wanted for a super restrictive stock style two cat Y-pipe to the muffler.

I've been eyeing up new components to put a lower restriction "summer" exhaust on (muffler and tailpipe/s), but I'll wait til the salt is gone. The Dodge Cummins Turbo desiel tailpipe looks like it has the exact same bends as our Bronco pipe and it's 4" all the way !!!

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 02:48 PM

I would think that 4" is too big?! I think my exhaust is too open, But I have no cats and free flow muffler 3" all the way. It's gonna need redone I want true dual exhaust with 2 1/2 all the way and those catco cats What's the price of those? I can get the piping and mufflers for $200. I'd like to add the cats for Inspection/Emmision test. Would I have to put another O2 sensor on?

I do like the Y set-up you have though! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode