carb/gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 04:47 PM
longview1

carb/gas mileage

hmmm got a dilly here:
[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
As of late i am getting horrid gas mileage. Accordign to my math im getting Approx.6-7 KM'S a gallon. I drive a 78 f150 with 35" bfg, 9in lift, headers-dual exhaust, 2bbl 360
I think i should get a bit better than that?? Well the carb is being a bitch (i think) its a motorcraft 2065 and when i start it, it sometimes does its high idle till its warmed up, but other times it doesnt and idles roughly. Also when i put it in 2nd gear (starting gear, 1st is to low...oh ya also i dont know my gear ratio,unfortunately)
and giver some gas i hear a "snap"(like a thin yet strong peice of metal being snapped in half-thats my defintion). and does this quite often, usually after it starts up.
So im thinking I should maybe do a rebuild of the carb?
Any suggestions is always appreciated and sorry about the novel [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
THanks everyone

P.S Gas here is $0.75 a litre here i put in 30-35$ and got about 65kms. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: carb/gas mileage

When's the last time you did a good tune-up?
Timing, Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Plug wires......

That "snap" you're referring to sounds like a timing issue.
(backfiring, "pop" out the carb)
Are all the carb hold-down studs/nuts tight?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 02:22 AM
longview1

The wires and plugs are only a few months old, rotor and cap are all farely new.....
yeah the hold down nuts are all tight as well
[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 PM

Hey Longview

That's some pretty poor mileage you got there !

That equates to @ 3-4mpg !!!!!! Even an old 360 can get better than that...sufferin !!!!!! There is obviously something wrong somewhere, I'd agree with you and suspect the carb, no doubt. You realize that at that kinda mileage you could pay for a re-manufactured carb pretty quick if it yields you better mileage.

I'll help you out, where I can, as I'm pretty good at getting a few more mpg's outta anything. Does your set up have a vacuum distributor ? Is the vacuum advance hooked up ? Set up correctly the vacuum dies nothing to hurt performance and helps out mileage in a very big way. Secondly, do you have an aftermarket coil on there yet ? If not, get one and open up the plugs to .050 to .060. That punched up my mileage more than any single thing I've done.

Don't forget maximum tire inflation, regular oil changes, synthetic if it ain't leaking(and you can afford it). At one point, in the Arctic, I had synthetic fluids everywhere in the old Bronco.

Try that, but buy a rebuilt carb fast ! and first. There's an outfit in Winterpeg that supplied my jobber with a beautifully remanufactured 1974(pre-emissions)800 cfm Thermoquad for my Mopar for $235.00 Canadian. They're called world or global or something, but they did a great job, try to get your jobber to admit they know them and order one up.

Good luck

Sixlitre

p.s./
If you want a hand setting up your vacuum advance tailored to you own truck, let me know, I've got it nailed foolproof [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 01:55 AM
longview1

Re: carb/gas mileage/dash

Hey thanks for the reply Sixlitre [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img],
lets see here.....ok As of now im getting a "better" 10-11 km's a gallon now. Im still getting a backfire out of the carb often enough (the popping sound, or snap sound).Gonna have a buddy from work take look at ignition timing.
To be honest im not sure about the vacuum distributor but i will find out.
Nope, no aftermarket coil yet,.....Ill put it on the list

I got another inquiry about my guages not reading,the only thing on the instrument cluster that works is the signal lights and the speedo. Ive checked the fuse-looks good (gonna replace anyway) I got it all taken out and looked ive got only one illumination lighht which is burnt. But for the guages im guessing its in the sender units-oil/water/temp and fuel How would i go about finding out myself??
THanks again Sixlitre any help is always appreciated.

What brand of oil should i use?? i was gonna go with the castrol gtx but ill take some suggestions. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:35 AM

What's with all the Canuks on the board? I've heard the beer up there sucks. [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

JK [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] NORM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 04:21 PM
broncoman

Canucks unite!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Must something wrong with the engine or something clogged to get that bad of mileage. Could be the carb as Six mentioned or clogged exhaust? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Hey, at least our beer has a bit more alchohol than the water out of the tap [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The micro-brewed is always good and is a good alt. to the common, mass produced Canadian, Blue, Bud, etc

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

have you ever thought about 'rebuilt time'?
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] canuck beer tastes funky.. [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 10:51 PM

I think Norm is just yankin' your chain Broncoman

I doubt Norm hates any beer. 20 years ago I used to visit friends in upstate New York and they developed quite an addiction for Molson Brador, as I remember(muled to them by me of course). Another American buddy likened the beer pecking order like this; Americans crave Canadian beer, Canadians crave British beer and Brits crave German beer. I loved them all.

Longview

That new mileage is still "pretty poor" as they say here in the Ottawa valley. That translates into 6-7mpg ! The improvement I was talking about the other day took me from 13.85 mpg to 15.98 mpg, a solid 2 mpg at -19 Celcius and with a windchill of -34 C. Mine does much better in the warmer weather. Granted yours is a carbed 360 with all kinds of friction increasing mods and mine is an EFI 302, still you outta be able to get better than that, and improve your performance and throttle response into the bargain.

Get that coil and open up them plugs, it'll pay for itself before Spring !

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 03:19 AM

I don't know Norm, I'm digging the Moosehead.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]... preferably Moosehead (will take anything free though).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode