leaky wheels? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

leaky wheels?

ever heard of a leaky aluminum wheel? 3 of my tires developed slow leaks after my recent adventure, so I had sears fix me up today and they attributed the leaks to crappy wheels. he slobbered some goo on there and said it should seal fine... just wondering if anybody had run into such an issue before. i'm guessing these are some type of cheap knockoffs, and I guess the bead surfaces just arent exactly the diameter that a quality wheel would have? time for steel black wagon wheels [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 09:45 PM

Re: leaky wheels?

I worked at sears for a year and a half doin tires part time and that sounds like a bunch of [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] to me. they were probably tring to get you to buy some new rims. check the valve stems at the rims and the ends that is probably where yopur problem is
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:28 PM

First of all I would have a problem with anyone slobbering any kind of goo on anything I own. But hey Eric, it's your bronco. You might be into goo slobbering-- [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Later,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:32 PM

I believe it is porus aluminum that causes the leaks and not a poor bead/rim interface. If I remember correctly GM had a problem with a lot of their cast aluminum wheels leaking because of poor castings.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did he show you where exactly they were leaking? I have seen many wheels leak at the bead. And we did in fact seal them with a black goo made just for sealing leaky beads. Usually when there was oxidation or rust when steel rims. Saved time from polishing or sanding the rust off.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:43 PM

ya, that is a frequent problem muddy with alluminum wheels, espicially the factory rims on all the new cars/vans and SUVs. The bead surface on the wheels oxidize and cause uneven spots with pitts on the surface. Ive sanded down about 12 sets in the last 2 years. Sanding them down is a good way to fix the problem, bead sealer will work also, but not in the long run.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

no, he wasnt trying to get me to buy wheels, in fact i was just talking to the tech out in the shop, not the salesman... Sears (both stores that I deal with) always takes care of me so I take all my business there, and I'm sure he's right about the wheels since this has happened before on an old set of 35's after playing in the mud a lot. There is a stand-alone NTB that became a Sears Auto Center and they pretty much suck, but the two big established Auto Centers adjoining the Sears stores always fix the problems free of charge without question. If I have any more problems I'll just order up some of those cheap black crawler wheels that are better suited for a trail machine anyway [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 05:26 PM

i've had that problem with one of my steel rims after i got the 33's. i just slapped some fix-a-flat in it and it has held ever since i just have to remember to tell the guy who rebalances them about it. incase he has to break the bead for some reason it was in my rear and those have alot of wheel weight in them hoping to get new wheels this year (35-36's) have to see how much i have after i reroof my house
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Biggie_Truck

Perosity is a common problem with any castings. Small air holes created when the metal cools too quickly during the process usually on thin areas and transition areas. A wheel would seem to be suseptable to perosity due to its configuration depending on the amount of metal left on for final machining (quality manufacturers would leave more metal on than others to compensate). I have never heard of this problem with an automotive wheel but I see it alot at work with casting suppliers.

A billet wheel forged would almost never have this. You could check with sears to see if its cast or forged. I forget if you did or not.

I had a similar problem and found that due to the cold weather the value stem was sticking open and a slow leak developed from the cap. I had to use pliers to close the cap tight enough to stop it. I had to spray soapy water on the tire and wheel until I found the leak. Small bubbles developed on the spot. (HINT)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 07:06 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
3 of my tires developed slow leaks after my recent adventure

[/ QUOTE ] this is why I thought it was [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] if it was a manufacturing problem it wouldnt have developed after a adventer it would ahve been then since the tires / wheels where installed new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode