89 e150 aod AND 35" TIRES question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 e150 aod AND 35\" TIRES question

Quick question on the AOD trans in my 89E150 6" lift with 35" tires. At highway speeds the trans seems to shift in and out of OD. This is unloaded and not towing. it shifts fine up to highway speeds and if I stay fast enough it will stay in gear but right about 55-60mph it freaks out. Also when I get home from my 1 hour commute it smells as if the trans is hot. You know the hot tranny fluid smell.
Anyway nothing has been done to correct for the larger tires. I just purchased the vehicle and it had the 35's prior to my purchase. Is there somethig special I need to do with the AOD trans? Its an electronic lock up torque converter right? Is it just off due to the tires?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 e150 aod AND 35\" TIRES question

You need to adjust the TV cable. The adjustment is on top of the motor where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body. The AOD should shift into high gear at about 40 mph or so. It is simple to adjust there is a plastic clip that slides up and then you can move the TV cable in or out. I'm not 100 percent sure which way you need to move it but I think you need to loosen the TV cable so push it in slightly then go for a little test drive you can keep adjusting till you get it to go into high at about 40 mph. Hope this helps and Good Luck,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Old Hand

I have an 86 F150 with 33's and a 302 w/ a AOD. I just keep it in D cuz OD is worthless. The tires were on it before i bought the truck and i swapped the trans in for 4wd swap. I never did anything to correct for the larger tires. It has 3.55 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:54 AM

It's because you still have stock gearing with 35" tires. The gearing was specified for 31" tires for the trans to operate within the engines power band. The bigger tires lowers your engine RPM and at cruising speeds in overdrive you're lugging the engine to accellerate. That's why it keeps jumping down into third. On a flat stretch of highway, under no load it stays in OD, right?
The only real options you have are to put smaller tires on (33"), keep your trans in 3rd gear (don't use OD), or install lower gears (the most expensive route).
Consequently, earlier design OD transmissions were designed poorly with extremely small OD clutches that can't handle the in and out shifting you're experiencing. Your trans is overheating from the load you're placing on it and it will fail if you continue to drive like that. For the time being, until you decide what to do, keep it out of OD and change the trans fluid immediately.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Shilo

U put 35's on a van? I want pics!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a crap camera. I'll try and get some pics.

Will 4:11 gears work? I have a np205 transaxle freshly rebuilt. I'm sure its worth about what a rearend is? Or maybe 32X11.50's would work out better? I've got an almost new set of 35's...anyone in for a trade?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer the question about when it down shfits. basically right after I let off the throttle when acceleration is done. I have paperwork on the rebuilt transmission. I'm guessing the guy burnt the trans up the same way. I'll cruise it around tomorrow in just drive and see how it acts.

Thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you tried adjusting the TV cable? My truck use to jump out of high when I let off the gas and then jump back in when I put my foot back on the gas so it was always down-shifting and up-shifting. This was do to the TV cable being to tight. On top of the motor where the throttle cable is, is where the TV cable comes to. Some people think this is a down shift link like on a C-6, but it is not, it is what controls the OD on an AOD. There is no electrical power to an AOD tranny it is all worked from this TV cable and it is a simple adjustment to solve this up and down shifting problem. All you have to do is take the cover off the throttle bracket (sometimes you don't even have to do this step) and slide the retaining clip up on the TV cable and then move the cable in or out, (for the problem you are having I think you need to slide the cable in a little) then push the lock clip back down and give the truck a test drive repeat this step till you get the shifting pattern you want. Give this a try I think you will be happy with the results. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

PS - The AOD is a very good tranny it has the lowest 1st gear of any auto tranny Ford makes, it has a mechanical lock-up in 3rd gear to give you a true 1:1 ratio and the tranny can handle a good amount of hps. The only draw-back is they get out of adjustment too easily.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Shilo

"PS - The AOD is a very good tranny it has the lowest 1st gear of any auto tranny Ford makes, it has a mechanical lock-up in 3rd gear to give you a true 1:1 ratio and the tranny can handle a good amount of hps."

How low is the AOD first gear? The E4OD converter locks up in OD. This seems more useful than lock-up in 3rd? The E4OD may also lock up in other gears, I'm honestly not certain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: AOD Gear Ratios

Well, according to <font color="blue">Havack's</font color> site:
2.84 for the AODE and AODEW (wide ratio)
2.40 for the AOD

More interesting reading here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode