Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Spongy Brake ??????? (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/150418-spongy-brake.html)

bigcheese 01-13-2003 11:31 AM

Spongy Brake ???????

got a 93 7.3L IDI 2wd

The brakes go all the way to the floor. Feels like there is no fluid in the MC. If I pump the brakes they seem to work a little better, BUT only when I pump them.
No previous brake work has been done.

OH, and the Brake light and ABS light stay on after you press them for the first time after cranking.

Thanks

matteorr 01-13-2003 11:58 AM

Re: Spongy Brake ???????

Does it just FEEL like there's no fluid or is there really no fluid in the master cyl? My recommendation would be to change it out with a new one, just to be safe. That fixed my problem, but I'm not sure that that's your problem.

bigcheese 01-13-2003 12:11 PM

just feels like it. It has plenty of fluid.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-13-2003 12:47 PM

have you bled the lines?

bigcheese 01-13-2003 02:14 PM

No but I am going to try that tonight and see what it does. Maybe some frak thing and some air got in the lines.
Like I said I haven't done any brake work. so that probably ain't it.

86convert4wd 01-13-2003 02:29 PM

If you bleed the lines and get good flow to the front wheels but crappy flow to the rears chances are its your RABS valve. I saw that problem a few times while i worked for Ford as a tech. The first thought was to replace the master cylinder but it was the RABS valve every time. Costs like $300 new from Ford.

bigcheese 01-13-2003 02:45 PM

DAYUM!!!!!!!!!!! 300 bucks for a valve?? Is it made of gold with magnesium trim or what. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Like I said I will bleed'um tonight and see what happens. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] then [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] and I will get back with ya'll in the morning for the results.

BigNorm 01-13-2003 04:18 PM

If it comes to that just pull a used one from the wrecking yard. I'd try to gravity bleed the whole system for a while. I went through a bottle of fluid doing this and no more problems. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just don't let the reservoir run out! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 01-13-2003 05:07 PM

Another thing is vehicles that have front disc and rear drums get all their pedal feel from the rear brakes. Disc brakes have no pedal so they get all the pedal from the rear drums. that means if your rear drums are not adjusted out to nearly touching you will have no pedal. A good way to adjust them is lift the rear off the ground put tranny in nuetral and turn the rear wheels then adjust the shoes out till the just start to grab do this on both sides you have to feel the drag it is a touch kind of thing. this would be a good thing to try while you are bleeding the brakes. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

bigcheese 01-14-2003 07:33 AM

well I bled the brake last night, everything seemed normal. They did get a little better but nothing to brag about. Even threw a new belt on just for good measure. and upon doing so the tensioner pully came loose. So I said screw it and will mess with it tomorrow.
So I can't really get a good feel until I fix the tensioner. But I will also check the rear brake adjustment.
Maybe that is why the Emergency brake doesn't work. ??