Sterlings, D60s and ABS ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Biggie_Truck

Sterlings, D60s and ABS ?s

As I understand it my 95 Bronco needs the tone ring sensor in the rear for ABS which limits me to the Sterling 10.25 when coosing between D60 and 10.25 (or buy Dynarapes D60s). But unless I can redrill the hubs to 5 x 5 1/2s on the full float Im stuck with the semis which is better than the ford 9" for my 38s. As far as redrilling, the limiting factor is the center extended full float hub-like piece on the ends. Does anyone know the outside diameter of this? (Burned?) If the center hole on my wheels clear it I can take it all apart and redrill the 5 bolt pattern on my Brideport with a superspacer. If not the 10.25 semi will have to do unless I custom make some kind of clearance axle extention which would weaken the system anyhow.

What type of lockers are availible for the semi float if any (criticle)?

What about the D60 up front working with ABS. Is the only sensor used by the ABS system the rear tone ring or does the front axle have some type of nessecary sensor not found on D60s? In that case Ill be saying so long to the ABS system and re-evaluating the D60s in the rear. Ill just pull the ABS light out of the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 08:25 AM

Re: Sterlings, D60s and ABS ?s

you will lose abs up front, but thats not big deal.
on the rear, the hub is to big to convert it to 5 lug. your wheel opening wont fit around it, and wont have enough room for the 5 on 5.5 pattern.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 01:37 PM
BoulderBronco7

If you do both the 10.25 and the D60 at the same time you won't have a problem. You will just have to get a new set of rims. Like Burned said I would not worry about front ABS. I am not sure if the sensors are the same on the 44 and the 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Biggie_Truck

O.K. Thanks for clearing that up Burned. My problem now is that my wheels and tires bought at the Bloomsburg show this summer. 5 min before the end of the show on Sunday negotiated Natl. Tire and wheel down to $1,500 for a set of Mickey Claws 39.5 (38" true od) and Classic IIs delivered to my home mtd, bal w/ nuts and caps. I chose 5 on 5 1/2 because of my old truck but only used one day before the repo man was on his way. Now I cant simply go out and buy 8lug rims and piss away my deal from Natl.

Well now that the ABS is not an issue is there a chance that the D60 full floaters have a smaller hub? Anyone?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Ovalover

Is wheel/rim size the appreciation for an 8-Lug setup? My 9" axle only has four small bolts holding the whole thing in. Oh, and does anybody know when the search will be back up?? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 05:37 PM

If you scroll down to teh bottom of the thresd you are in you can use the search there here is a link that someone else posted on how th us search post it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 11:37 PM
Shilo

Yes, saying goodbye to the front ABS is a great solution, along with removing the bulb in the dash.

The 10.25 is still your best bet because you need the tone ring if you have an E4OD, and in order to make your newer speedo work. If you want to run a different rear there are ways to mount external VSS's but I'm not familiar with them. I'm sure you could also mount an older t-case with the VSS at the speedo drive gear, but it would take some putzing with wiring.

D60 fronts never got ABS, except for '02+ maybe. Don't bother with the weird 8 lug metric bolt pattern, so forget '02+

It's either Dynatrac or Warn that sells D60 front hubs already drilled for 5 on 5.5, and I understand they're only like $75 more than OEM 8 lug hubs.

The 10.25 SF is a c-clip axle, that's the only bad thing I could say about it. That, and they're not real common and have limited locker selection. Lockrite and *maybe* Detroit? are your only options for the SF'er.

I don't think you'll be getting a 5 on 5.5 wheel over the FF hub. Look at the pic Burned posted. That's 8 on 6.5. So reduce that bolt circle by 1" and you get the idea.........I'd imagine some time on a lathe might turn that hub down enough, but I don't know how much material is there to work with. I've never heard of anyone converting a Sterling FF to 5 lug, it's just not that great of a rear - people do convert the 14 bolt to 5 lugs quite regularly, but that's a better rearend, which, of course, does not have the tone ring you need.

All that said, I'd definitely do what you have to to stay 8 lug. IMO trying to go 5 lug is a waste of time and money. You end up with a bunch of custom, expensive crap that's not easily found or replaced. Just get it over with and go 8 lug.

You can run 2.5" backspacing and keep your 15" tires (I am with D60 front).

You do realize you can convert your TTB to 8 lugs until you can afford a D60 front????

Finally, you might search around 2bigbroncos.org, I think Kurt Hartsig fitted a tone ring to a D60 rear by drilling the housing, but I'm not sure how well it worked out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 03:47 PM

The 5 on 5.5 D60 hubs may only be $75 more than OEM.. but OEM isn't cheap by any stretch (at least, none of the ones I've looked at).

For a 5 on 5.5 monster rear.. you may find that a Chevy 14-bolt, with it's smaller wheel hubs, can be turned down to take a 5 on 5.5 wheel.

But.. as others have said.. you're throwing good money after bad.

Buy some $25 8-lug 15" steel wheels, sell the fancy aluminum rims for some money back, and carve on the calipers until the wheels clear.

It WILL be cheaper in the end than keeping the 5 on 5.5 wheels.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Shilo

Very true, OEM is not cheap.

Opinions vary but I would personally not grind a D60 front caliper enough to fit rims with 3.5 or 4" backspacing. I've heard of several people who have done it, and just one failure. Obviously the end decision is yours, use your judgment I guess.

Order some wheels with 2.5" bs and be done with it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 04:31 PM

I've heard reports that D60 calipers are not all the same.. some require more and some less grinding to clear 15s, especially when talking about the Ford dual piston units.

I think I *did* miss the end of your original post regarding the 2.5" backspacing.. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seems a lot of guys just don't want to go that wide though.

I haven't paid that much attention though.. I'm going to run some big bad 235/85-16s on my front 60.. while I wear out the 36x12.50-15s on my Dana 44. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode