ttb bushing replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

ttb bushing replacement

hey guys
i need to replace my ttb bushings could i just remove the bolt that bolts through traction beam to replace bushings? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Re: ttb bushing replacement

I assume you are referring to the axle pivot bushings on the TTB axle ends and not the Radius ones, they are pressed in there really good, i think Steve83 said the easiest way he had found was to drill a bunch of holes in the rubber around the bolt hole once you get the bolts out and axle bushings supported and accessable, then beat out the remaining rubber and outer steel shell with a big hammer and suitable driver tool. Of course you could burn them out with a torch, but i really dont care for the smoke from burning greasy rubber [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]. Mine are still OK in my 86 so i have yet needed to perform this (as i had heard) wonderful repair [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Shilo

Click:
http://bigb.mybigbronco.com/pivot.html

My .02 is this: get the poly replacements. IIRC they do not come with a new metal outer sleeve. This is good 'cause you can drill the old bushing out but leave the existing metal sleeve in place (MAJOR PITA to remove), then just pop in the new poly's and you're done.

'Course the even better solution is to ditch your TTB altogether LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

shilo
once i have truck up on stands & remove wheels i will be able to support ttb with jack remove bolt then lower ttb and drill out old bushing.is the steel collar molded on the piece of bushing that i drill out or is that steel collar on the outside of bushing? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
i ordered energy bushing's instead of the ford oem bushing energy was $7.00 more figured these would be better since i'm putting 4 inch lift on this spring and dont want to be replacing these anytime soon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Shilo

The only time I replaced mine the TTB was totally out from under the truck for a lift install (I shoulda just left it out from under the truck right then and there!), so I can't help you with the procedure exactly.

The metal sleeve is on the O.D. of the bushing. It will want to stay in the arm, you won't be accidentally removing it, trust me! So, drill out the rubber and press in new poly bushing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 11:48 PM

I hit mine with sledge, popped right out, did crimp the flanged ends of the old ones first though. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

This was my first time with TTB- hated it [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img].

I just used stock new ones, I figured if 12 years they lasted I'll go for another 12 or so! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode