Yet another engine problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 11:35 AM
beerstash

Yet another engine problem

I posted awhile back about my engine revving high and then turning off. I ended up taking it to a shop after I fixed the blowby factor. They ended up replacing a few sensors. It is starting to do that again. The sensors could not already have gone out could they? Also, to help out with the blowby I went to 50w oil hoping to prevent it. I haven't checked yet to see if there is more blowby but this is getting [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] ridiculous. I feel like [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]the [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]out of it. Any other ideas or possibilities I may have missed. Thanks, I really like the Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Veteran

Re: Yet another engine problem

What engine do you have anyways and what kind of mileage?

Bush and Americas economy [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 01:25 PM
beerstash

Sorry about that. Have a site at superford but haven't linked to my bio as of yet. It's a 95 302 EFI with a 116,000 miles on it Also, as of today, when I drive and go to shift in Park, the red square(identifier?) stays in Reverse for about 10s. What the [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] is going on? I let it warm up for about 5-10min and it acts up even more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Veteran

What makes you think *blow-by* would be causing your problem, which im not sure i really understand anyways, is it at idle?

I think you should pull your codes again and also check your throttle body and air by-pass valve for carbon build up, 50W oil in the middle of january isnt a good idea.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 05:14 PM
beerstash

The reason I switched to 50w was because the last time I checked my air filter before I did the oil filter and change I had about a quart of oil in the bottom of the air box. Not good, seroius blow-by by my standards, just me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:49 AM

#1 Are you running a PCV valve? I don't know how you would be getting oil to the filter if you had a valve on there. #2 Do a compression test of each cylinder. If you really are getting that much blow by it won't matter what kind of oil you use. If you have bad compression at a minimum pull the motor and rering it. Change the oil pump and other essentials you can't get to normally while your at it for added insurance.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 11:09 AM
beerstash

I'm not sure if I'm running a PCV, I'll go check this afternoon but I'm pretty sure I am. What else would I need to check/change besides the oil pump? I wouldn't imagine it's the filter or oil-use Pennzoil and can't remember the name of the filter I used the last time, had a special. I know, I know not the best but worked for the time being. I'm also changing the oil about every 4k to 4.5k due to the synthetic breakthroughs in tech.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 08:03 AM
beerstash

HELP!!! More oil is being spit out into the airbox and I made some calls. Turns out for that much oil to be there 3months after it got fixed, the oil is coming through the pistons. The guy said my options are a rebuild or put a new engine in it [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. My question is: cheaper or easier--rebuild the 302 or swap another 302 from a Mustang or if possible to find a 351W or possibly, a diesel?!? I read the other posts but have no experience in rebuilding or swapping engines except for the lawnmower and weedeater.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Veteran

A reman long block would probably be the fastest and easiest way to go, a used LB from a mustangs probably going to have a roller cam if its a late H.O in which the duration of that cam may create an idle problem with your Speed density EFI, but if i remember correctly, `94 and up truck 5.0s also have a roller cam so you could swap the cam out since i doubt they have the same grind, ( trucks need more low-end torque), I had my Bronco on the scale at the county dump yesterday, 5100lbs. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You may be able to find a good used 5.0 from a truck but will probably already have High mileage. Rebuilding your own would be my choice of options but takes more down time, is this your daily driver?

A 351W swap will require some work (new ECU, manifolds, exh, etc) a diesel, hope you have plenty of time and cash [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:51 AM

I don't know about the roller cam issue but I'd imagine that everything would bolt together. You would have to swap your oil pan on there as well. I'd go for the rebuild myself. It will be a hell of alot cheaper (depending on how much you pay for machine work.) I highly recomend getting a good valve job done and an overbore if your cylinders are worn. (If they're not too bad then just re ring it and reuse your same pistons [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) I think you'll learn while you are doing it that it's not nearly as hard as you might think it is. And the knowledge you will gain from the experience will be worth the extra time you took. Make sure you have a good engine stand before you start. (this tool will make you're teardown and rebuild ten times easier and fun for that matter) I hope my engine lasts forever but secretly I don't think I'll be too disapointed when the time comes to rebuild. Motors are my favorite of all things on a vehicle. It's all that crap on top that pisses me off usually. lol NORM [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode