shock question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

shock question

Ok here goes I have the quad shock front end and am wondering if it will hurt anything to run with just 2 up front insted of the 4 shocks upfront and what advantages /disadvantages there may be thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:00 AM

Re: shock question

It will work fine, but the front end won't have as much damponing as it had before when you ran 4 shocks and may not hnadle the exact same. its not that big of problem since alot of the broncos and trucks only had 2 shocks up front from the factory.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:16 PM
froggy

hey burned , was there certain years they only offered single shocks up front. Or is dual shocks for trucks with the towing package only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:28 PM

It was a stand alone option that didn't have anything to do with a HD suspension or towing package.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Pooh-Bah

<font color="blue">TheJuice</font color> has been doing some experimenting.
Here's his latest write-up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Well Juice how did the out come of the test come out and do I need to let [email protected] know that I am just going to run the front or back shock of my quad set up(depends on how juices experiment came out on wheel travel) looking to save a little money and maybe soften the ride up a little since these shock are supposed to be alittle stiff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 PM

If you have the quads stock, well, you are in luck. I run just a pair up front, not where they normally would be on the radius arms because those are not as long/limit the travel. the two pair toward the front are what I run.

Now, here is the deal, will say this just once...

BUY RANCHO 9000's period.

If you want to do your towing and also want a good trail vehicle, this is where the $$$ should go.

You will not be diappointed, and I saw in a post you are towing 5K, that's a bit...you have all the extra cooling, auto tranny, 351, proper gearing, right?

If so your rear hitch, dual add a leafs, and GOOD shocks will do the job. BUT, if you have a 3" body lift, are you leaving that?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

I have the manual tranny (t-18)going to put in 4.11 gears (due to the 1 to 1 manual tranny ratio)unfortuntly I have the 302 nut I plan on buying a short block next winter putting in a edelbrock performer cam and heads and then putting on the howell tbi kit and hopefully it will be enough to keep me happy. and yes I still have the 3in body lift on
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 11:00 AM

Howell is more PC here than saying Chevy TBI. lol It's OK. I plan on doing mine this next summer. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 12:44 PM

Well, here is a bit more info. for you...this is just info. I am not saying "can't" here:

For 1996 Ford Broncos, the brochure shows that a Bronco equipped with 5.0/3.55 and auto can max tow (equipped with Tow package) 6600lbs. With a 5.8 that jumps to 7000 a good ton more than what you are looking to tow. However, with 5.0/manual/3.55 that figure is only 3000lbs. So, I don't know how much stronger or differently geared your older manual is compared to the new ones, but.....

maybe [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] or maybe [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode