lockers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:06 PM
jaysbronco

lockers

what locker do u put in first front or back im new to 4wheelin want to buy lockers for my 1990xltbronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:13 PM

Re: lockers

Either, you could even do both at once. But, if you are new to wheelin, then you probably should learn more about the different types, and which would be best for what you are looking to do. Since lockers go in the pumpkins, often this upgrade should go hand in hand with gearing if you are or have added bigger tires.

I put an ARB in front first...I already had a LSD in the rear. Are both your axles open currently?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 PM
jaysbronco

ihave just bought 4new tsl sxtires on rims35/15.50/15 and a rancho4in lift kit just want to be able to do mud holes and trails ilive in washington what lockers do u think wood be for me trucks got a 351 in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:39 PM

Jason, many of the members of 2bigbroncos live up your way. Fun club to be part of if you like wheelin with many of big broncos and other assorted vehicles.

Let me put it this way, there are numerous things to consider:

1 do you have any traction devices in the diffs now?
2 are you on a budget?

if yes to 2 then do the diff that does not already have a traction device. The lock-rights have held up decently in some of the trucks with the Ford 9inch. they are cheaper than a detroit because they are not the entire carrier.
Some also run some type of spool, but this really is only for a rig that is used as your trail vehicle.

if no on 2
The ARB's are great selectable lockers which I think is the ultimate, but any of the selectables are pricey. The Detroit of course is very strong/reliable as well.

This is a good starting point, as I am sure others will jump in as well.

I ran the ARB in front first for several years. When one of my fellow club members bent his 8.8 I jumped at the chance of buying his used Detroit since he was upgrading axles. I think BurnedB might have a used Detroit for the rear???

The upgrades are generally $$$ period though. So, make sure you plan on wheelin/keepin your creation for awhile.

Also, you know you are going to be rubbing like crazy with those tires/lift right?
And, you've got the gearing covered too???
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
jaysbronco

thanks for the info but i thought you ran a 4in lift with 35s on it without rubbing if not il put a body lift on to cover this problem/ my tires are not onyet or my lift wating to take vac on feb6 for a month to do the mods and money is not a prob been saving for a wile to pay for lockers and any thing else i need to build my bronco
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 PM
rikeegee

With 35X15.5, I would definitely recommend changing your gears when you change the lockers. I have 4.11 running 35X12.5 and I wish I would have gotten 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I use detroits in the rear which took some getting used to when I first had it installed.

ARBs are a good choice when it comes to the fronts because they give you options. Hell, if money is no concern then ARBs front and rear. The one draw back I can see with ARBs is that there are more parts that can fail. If the hoses get snagged or the compressor fails in the middle of the trail then it may be a tough drive back to the roads.

I can only give my opinions on what i have tried though. Detriots have been bullet proof so far for me and I love them. If I had money for ARBs back then, I probably would have gotten them for my front/rear.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 05:23 PM
rikeegee

Ooops...Forgot your original question. Its basically a domino effect. To run those tires effectively, you will need to upgrade your gears. Since you need to upgrade both front and rear gears all at once then might as well install whatever locker or lsd you choose all at once.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 02:41 PM

Well, I can tell you I like the ARB front Detroit rear setup I have. I was a bit scared to run ARB in both ends. But all the leaking, hoses, compressor issues people hear about related to the ARB are bull in the bigger/stronger axles.
A guy that Shilo and I know who now works for ARB was in a discussion once, and we all tended to agree that the issues mentioned above were mostly with the ARB products for like the D35. I'll admit I have ran with a small leak for years. Never bothered to fix it since it ain't broke. The locker fully engages and stays engaged as it should. You would think I might run into more rapid failure of the compressor, but again, knock on wood never an issue there.

If you have the money, I feel the ideal setup is selectable lockers front and rear. The jury is still out on some of the newer selectable offerings. And all are $$.

Oh and yes I mentioned rub in my prior post because I run 35 x 12.5's on 15 x 8's with proper offset, and 4" lift. Your wheel combo is gonna be sooo way fatter than mine, I guarantee you will rub. You will have to run a 10 inch rim if not a 12! And, of course your tires will be roughly 3+" wider to go along with the wide wheels.

Rikegee mentioned gearing, I was thinking just 33's at the time and so went with the 4.10's. With 35's and overdrive, I now would probably prefer the 4.56, but the 4.10 are acceptable since I run a smaller tire package, i.e. width. In your case the weight would probably mean the 4.56 should be your choice for sure if you have OD, maybe even higher if ya want.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:10 PM
froggy

I rubbed with 12 inch wheels. Best thing to do is set the stop so you dont rub. Mine rubbed but it really didnt bug me. It wasnt as if i was doing 35 rubbing. It was only when i did sharp sharp turns. That was with 38 inch tires too.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:22 PM
jaysbronco

ithink im going to buy both arb lockers and some new gears today going to tacoma today to check out the goods at 4 wheel parts wholesalers and for the rubbing fender deal im just going to have to cut em ant put on thoes bushwackers thanks for all your help [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode